Training Resources

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BluemoonOKy, Nov 11, 2017.

1. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Mostly just riding around while sitting on them. A couple people would use one on just one side.

I’ll have to check out the videos.

One thing I remember noticing is that often I will end up with a knot in my shoulder by the time I am done riding. After riding and having to not let the balls escape I noticed no knot!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Great article with many suggestions for working in the walk. The winter is a good time to go back to basics to keep fitness, especially if you're like me and don't have an indoor, Do not underestimate the walk. It's the easiest gait to eff up.and the easiest one to address imbalances and precision. Especially for the rider. Three Riding Workouts at the Walk

Alsosusieq2 and froglander like this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

The best training resource is a quality instructor who is right onsite and responds moment to moment to correct, guide and educate the student. There is no substitute for onsite instruction. Books and videos certainly help, but they are an add-on and can't replace regular instruction. Books and videos can also create confusion and if chosen from many different disciplines or from 'generalist' trainers, can also create 'method flooding', so the person can't decide what to do and fails to react.

That said, I have some favorite books that actually get into practical matters and the nuts and bolts of riding daily. Legitimately, the instructors at the Spanish Riding School said long ago they were loathe to set anything down in writing because it encouraged people to forego lessons....and then Podhajsky wrote is book, lol. But it is written carefully to explain concepts rather than offer specific solutions.

There's an 'essential tension' between going past 'concepts', providing practical solutions to specific problems and attempting to not substitute for instruction....

Some ideas -

Albrecht's judging handbook,

the USDF manual on dressage by Jennifer Baumert

Janet Foy's Dressage for the not so perfect horse(which while it often presents one solution for one problem, at least it presents something for a specific problem)

Chris Bartle has a fantastic book on training sport horses, too. He looks at training as an engineer would and has a way of distilling things down to very basic ideas that people can easily learn.

Niggli has a fantastic book on dressage that helps one to understand judging and dressage in general better.

Harry Boldt's book on the other hand manages to be very specific without being a substitute for instruction - and his book has finally been translated in entirety, to English.

Bengt Lindquist has a great book called 'The Practical Dressage Manual', but it doesn't as much go into specifics, but in a very good way.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. BluemoonOKy

It would help if you provide links for the info you have suggested for people to access. That is the point of this thread.
    Good riding is good riding, especially with regards to the basics. A lot can be learned from self study. No one said resources should replace in person training however a lot of folks don't have access to in person or quality help. So, this forum, online sites, books, etc are certainly better than nothing.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

I listed a number of books. I guess books are no longer 'resources'?

6. BluemoonOKy

Do you know the footfalls for each gait ? Can you feel your horse's footfalls?

Try getting on your hands and knees and move like a horse in each gait.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Or if you are in Florida it’s the best time of year to ride!

(In response about not having an indoor :) )

8. slc

slc Senior Member

That was very naughty of you to point that out. Yesterday it was 22, the wind was howling and a mixture of snow and freezing rain was pounding everything. But like all good things in the midwest, that came to an end, lol, now it's sunny and 50, lol.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

You both can just urinate right offf!!

15 degrees F here & all the ground is covered in snow! Shoveling has occurred the last week!

10. froglander

froglander Senior Member

So I shouldn’t mention that it’s a balmy 73 F our right now?