Training Resources

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BluemoonOKy, Nov 11, 2017.

1. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

So awhile ago I posted this thread
    The soft horse
    And I thought it would be nice to have one place to post resources for how to train a soft horse. No gadgets, no gimmicks, no majikal secret clubs...just regular good old soft, patient, kind and compassionate training methods.
    Here are some of my favorite resources. It does not matter what discipline or saddle you're riding in. Good riding is good riding ! When we know better, we do better. Enjoy your horse and have fun!

Straightness Training | Valuable Tips About Horses & Horse Riding | By Marijke de Jong
    There is a free mini mastery going on with videos and Marijke has lots of free stuff. Lots of info on positive training and SELF mastery.
    #1: How To Turn Your Stubborn Or Spooky Horse Into A Loyal Partner

Karen Rohlf Dressage Naturally with Karen Rohlf

Mary Wanless Ride with Your Mind...Lots of info on biomechanics and how position affects your horse and your horse's movements.Ride With Your Mind - Rider Biomechanics

CRK Training CRK Training LLC | Horse Riding, Horse Training, and Horse Care Advice and Videos

Wendy Murdoch The Murdoch Method

Buck Brannaman

Franklin balls

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    froglander and Acornicus like this.
  2. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

Awesome idea, I will be subbing and reading.

Since I've been trainerless, for saddleseat I have found this blog to be super helpful. She likes gentle bits and has a lot of common sense solutions.

AOT Clinic

Larkspade likes this.
  3. BluemoonOKy

4. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

I recently discovered Art2Ride (or Arttoride) on Youtube and I cannot say enough positive things about Will Faerber's methods. His videos are long and generally continuous so you can see how long he spends on each exercise during the training session. The horses he works with aren't push button, many have issues caused by incorrect training methods. Some duck behind the bit, break at the poll, spook unpredictably etc. He is a huge advocate for classical dressage. He aims to produce soft, responsive horses instead of tense, flashy ones. Highly recommend!

5. BluemoonOKy

More free resources...
    Home
    The Crystal System

Dona Worry likes this.
  6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Ritter Dressage

^ Seriously, some well thought out & explained stuff & they offer lots of free FB lives.

Friesiangirl likes this.
  7. froglander

froglander Senior Member

What a cool thread!

And riding with Franklin balls is interesting!

8. BluemoonOKy

I definitely recommend riding with the Franklin balls.

9. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Rode at a Wendy Murdoch clinic recently and she was using them as well. I tend to collapse on my left side, especially when turning left, and using the balls helped me to keep my self balanced and centered, definitely helped! Oh, and canter departs, they really brought out some imbalances I need to work on. Pondering order some :D

BluemoonOKy likes this.
  10. BluemoonOKy

I love wendy murdoch. Lucky YOU! That is really cool. You should totally order them and get the psoas and shoulder booklet to do the floor exercises.
    What exercises did you do with them ? The same ones as in the video or different ?

froglander likes this.