Training Journey so far

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Wild at Heart, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Sedating the horses keeps your farrier safe, and teaches the horses that they are going to be fine and there is nothing to be scared of.

And if one has known pain that is an issue when the farrier trims her, give her some bute.

You cannot expect a farrier to work on dangerous horses. If I have one that was a bit naughty for the farrier (think foal on first trim or 2) I apologize profusely AND give them extra $ for the trouble.

ginster, kodemiester and NBChoice like this.
  2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

If the horse gets suddenly scared, rips out the wooden hand rail, gets spooked by this dangling thing, takes off panicking, you can do ZERO, might even get hurt trying. And this can happen within a second, horses can react really FAST when scared.

A lot of horse accidents happen when people go sloppy because they think, oh, my horse has never spooked, oh, my horse has never reared, oh, I'm there to handle it, blah blah....

It WAS unsafe and is an accident waiting to happen. Handling/riding horses is among the most dangerous sports. If you know enough horse people you hear the horror stories.

ginster and Dream27 like this.
  3. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

I suggest adding some hay twine to anything you tie them to so that they can easily break off if they spook. I remember one time one of the lesson ponies, who is pretty much bomb-proof, spooked at something stupid and was out of the cross ties in a minute, but didn't hurt himself or pull out anything thanks to the hay twine. Horses are unpredictable even when they seem predictable, it's better to play it safe than to have something bad happen to your beautiful babies.

4. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

My stoic, easy going, spook at nothing gelding stuck his head under the wooden hitching post (made out of railroad ties and telephone poles, and buried DEEP into the ground) and when he brought his head up, he hit it and set back. Snapped that hitching post right off those railroad ties. He had half a telephone pole and one leg (railroad tie) caught over top of his head and he ran backwards until he collided with my brand new truck and there was nothing I could do but watching until he came to a stop.

**** happens. Remember that. Just tied there for one minute isn't an excuse with horses.

5. Wild at Heart

Wild at Heart Full Member

I understand where you are all coming from and appreciate your concern. Though I didnt act as blindly about it as you guys seem to think as I did some precautions. I had them tied so that all I had to do was give one tug on the other end of the lead rope and the horses would be free. I also was standing by their heads at the stairs area so that I had easy access to do just that if needed.
    I will keep in mind the twin suggestion though. That's a good idea and I've never heard of that before.

And I understand freak accidents can happen, though like one of you said, it even happened with a hitching post which also shows it doesnt always matter where you tie them, something can happen regardless.
    I'm not necessarily trying to make excuses for myself, and I hope it doesnt come across like that as we all do make mistakes to live and learn from and I'm not some super experienced high end type of trainer like parellie or others like him, nor do I claim to be. So i do appreciate your guys tips and will keep them in mind. Hope you all have a good day.

6. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Parelli is a scam.

ginster and NBChoice like this.
  7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

One tug to get him free. Yeah, we ALL tie like that. One tug wouldn't set my gelding free because the knot was located directly under his throatlatch, and the post was pushing it up into it. He was suffocating, and pressure didn't release until he dropped to his knees and the pole hit the ground and took enough pressure off that I could remove his halter and free him. I thought he was going to die, as my husband ran to the barn for a knife.

Myself, my husband, and a friend were all standing right there with him when it happened.

I seriously thought he was going to die. It COMPLETELY changed how and where I tie, and I've been tying horses for 22 years..

8. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Parelli is a joke and I wouldn't walk across the street to see him.

And yes, simple slip knot every horse person knows how to do. Clearly you have never had a horse sit down and pull... those knots will tighten to the point you CAN'T pull it undone. As well as if a true wreck starts to happen, it can be too dangerous to get close enough to even get to the rope

9. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

And those panick snap hooks that can be opened turning or pulling a trigger, I tried to grab one of those to open it when a horse panicked and just that moment the thing broke and one shard cracked my thumb joint. That then hurt for weeks.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Wild at Heart

Wild at Heart Full Member

Did some more training with Ren today. She's been getting really good with haltering too. I don't even have to wrap the lead rope around her neck first anymore. I just have to show her the halter and occasionally hesitates a little but then puts her head right in which is nice.

I introduced her to a large blue yoga ball. Both horses were quite curious about it actually. Ren didn't mind it. I waved it around in front of her, around her sides, bounced it on the ground, ran it along her her sides, and even rolled it around on her back. She didn't care about any of it. She only lifted her head in surprise the first time the ball was on her back, but after that, she just turned her head to sniff at it and then settled down and didn't care. I also ran the ball around her legs and rolled it underneath her and dropped it over the other side of her and she was falling asleep on me lol.

Also just did a quick refresher on everything else she already knows and did great. I also swung the rope over her a few times and around her feet and again, she was falling asleep on me. She's quite the young horse, that's for sure. Pretty happy with how well she handles everything though. I look forward to when she's old enough that I can start teaching her under saddle and go on rides with her. But that's still a looong ways off. Feels like forever really, but I'm sure that time will come sooner than I think.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.