1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Trainer rules for Horse Clothes

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by bobo and horses, Apr 17, 2017.

1. xXScribbleXx

xXScribbleXx Senior Member

Been there done that. My last year showing before my horse was "mysteriously injured" in the trainers care, the trainer wanted us all matching in his colors. He found a supplier and of course it was all high end stuff 150.00 for a slinky, and 200.00 for a matching nylon sheet expensive....and of course I had a growing horse at the time so I routinely had to buy new. It was excessive, and IMO if the trainer is not willing to work with what I have got, I WILL NOT bend over backwards to please another trainer. After all, I am the one that hired them, not the other way around. Now, if he wanted to buy everyone sheets and so be it, that's fine. But I am not (and neither should anyone else be) a walking advertisement for a business your paying for. The business pays for advertising, not the consumer ;)

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Glad she got it straightened out bobo and horses-!! That's a relief. Too bad the others jumped on board like lemmings.

I got you on that xXScribbleXx. Most people aren't planning on staying at the same trainer for a long time. Having to put up with this would be annoying and expensive.

bobo and horses likes this.
  3. bwahorses

bwahorses Full Member

My trainer asked me this year if I would be interested in having matching show sheets:D,It is our own decision but if we are all in agreement then he will order{ ordering for group will save on cost}. I don't mind idea as can never have too many sheets,lol:love:. last year we had caps & jackets we could order with training logo on if we wanted, again we could have if wanted but not expectation. Know few of the training barns have jackets,but clients not expected to have. There is just one barn that has matching everything,stall bags,jackets,hats,sheets.Looks nice but can dress up all you want ,it is what you do in show pen, fun you have & sportsmanship that is what really counts. Find sometimes this practice of "dressing up" the barn mentality create to much segregation amongst competitors...too much Us vs them type thinking:rolleyes:. I prefer everyone being more sociable with fellow competitors, it is more welcoming also for newbies to show:loveflag:

Binca, manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You know, that's a point I didn't even think about. It certainly encourages exclusivity IMO also. Not a plus for newbie competitors. I've never been a joiner though myself. Sports competition I understand, you need to identify the other team.

5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Our barn makes this kind of thing available and "group buying" does save money. Although most of the action is in jackets, etc., there are some folks who have opted for coolers, and other larger logo items. These are the folks who actually show...something available for people who want it, but not "heavily encouraged" as it was at our previous barn. It's nice having choices.

That said, it sounds like the OP's daughter and several others have reached an amicable agreement with their barn around the original issue and that's a good thing.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

My trainer's colors are black, silver and teal....and everyone has show sheets and monogrammed halters. I bought my own so it was no biggie, but he purchased some monogrammed show halters and uses those on the horses who's owner didn't buy one.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.