Trainer rules for Horse Clothes

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by bobo and horses, Apr 17, 2017.

1. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I didn't know what to call this thread, but the explanation will answer the why.

In late June or early July of last year, one of my girls purchased a new horse. Green broke 3 year old. She went to the trainers and all things turned out well. That trainer moved to Texas, so horse came home for a while. Found new trainer, things are working out well, until the trainers wife drops a bombshell. At least daughter thinks it is, and I tend to agree.

This is it - all training horses that are going to shows MUST have the same brand, and color of sheets, blankets, bell boots, halters, leads and stall door storage. First of all, think of the cost, she had already purchased new, in various colors, depending on sale price, and now is being required to purchase yet again. Thoughts? Good idea, not good idea?

2. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

:confused:

is she sponsored or something? otherwise that's a ridiculous thing to ask.

3. Sam C.

Sam C. Full Member

I can understand wanting horses in training to be easily associated with the trainer, but this is ridiculous! Slap a logo on some sheets and call it good, don't require that your PAYING clients pay that much more for brand new stuff when they have perfectly usable equipment.

Varisha likes this.
  4. Shoney

Shoney Senior Member

I know some h/j barns that require a specific trunk. But I've never heard of requiring halters, leads, bell boots, ect. I can understand that it looks nice.. but that's a bit outrageous in my opinion.

5. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

@RelaxMax I was just about to say that.
    When I used to jump properly and was sponsored yes I had everytbing matchy matchy. Now if my trainer would say this to me I would laugh and say not gonna happen. Maybe I'm a cheapo but why should I have to pull out of my pocket to do matchy matchy to trainers colors? If trainer wants everyone to match in her colors guess what not on my wallet, how will it help my horse or I anyhow?

cathrynxox likes this.
  6. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

No sponsor, this is aqha and she is an amateur. Told her to talk to trainer, but he said that is hi s wife's domain. Trainer is a good one, just this crazy thing that came up. Personally, who cares what color, for goodness sake. Doesn't change how horse goes. But, we have discovered by talking to different people, that this is more common than we thought. There are trainers at shows that do have everyone "Dressed" the same, but really thought it was voluntary.

7. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

That is ridiculous IMO. Your paying him to have your horse trained. What color and brand equipment your horse is wearing has nothing to do with anything.

DunsNPallys, Varisha and Sam C. like this.
  8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If the trainer wants to promote HER TRAINING BARN, which is what she's up to and why she wants everything matching, then She pays for that, not the individuals in training.

Put your foot down with other boarders and that'll be that.

9. froglander

froglander Senior Member

I used to work at a tack store and for blankets that went to shows we often had different trainers blanket details on file so it would be easy for customers to come in and order. Halters and leads would often also have specifications. I think specifying things like bell boots is a bit much though.

10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

This exactly.

manesntails and Varisha like this.