trailering question, divider, no divider?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Rachel1786, Jul 11, 2018 at 9:39 AM.

1. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

So I'm hopefully going to pick up my new horse on Sunday! My friend is going to trailer for me, but she won't know till Friday if she can use her new trailer or not(long story) so we may have to use mine. Mine is an older 2 horse straight load, new horse is smaller then Bella and she fits in it(barley in length :rolleyes:). So it should be OK, its about a 2.5-3 hour trailer ride. My trailer currently does not have the divider in it(I pulled it out to work on trailer loading with Bella and we had a strong storm come through and it blew the heavy wood divider through my round pen fence into the tall weeds and no one has helped me get it :bawling::rofl:, so I don't know if its usable, hubby was supposed to weld me a nice metal divider so I wasn't too worried about it, however he seems to have forgotten. If we take my trailer, would it be OK to use without the divider? I worry because it has a post in the middle by the chest bars, so I don't know if he chooses to stand on an angle if that would bother him, also don't want him leaving on the ramp, but I'm sure I can connect the 2 butt straps to keep him from putting too much weight on it.

Hopefully it will work out with my friends trailer and this will be a non issue, but I'm just trying to figure out my best course of action should it come down to it.

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I'd leave it out. The more room, the better imo

Rachel1786 likes this.
  3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Horses are hauled in stock trailers all the time without dividers. The only thing would be if either horse is a jerk and kicks at other horses.

Rachel1786 likes this.
  4. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Thanks, I was just worried about the center post. Unfortunately the trailer place can't get it in for inspection until the 19th :bawling:So we won't be able to use it after all so really hoping my friends trailer situation works out! Screenshot_20180711-140424.png

Attached Files:

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

The center post isn't an issue.

Rachel1786 likes this.
  6. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Another question (I've only had the trailer 5ish years and never pulled a horse with it :rolleyes:) since the top portion above the ramp is open, it wouldn't be advisable to put bedding in because it would blow around, potentially in the eyes correct? Or should I put some shavings(or maybe straw?) In the rear of the trailer to soak up and urine and use a fly mask to protect his eyes from anything that might fly around?

7. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Just be sure to triple check everything in the trailer (floorboards, frame underneath, tires, lights, etc) if you haven't used it with a horse yet.

I would be inclined to tie so that their head is to the left side of the post, and tie only short enough that they couldn't get hung up on the other side of the post. That way they won't be turning all over the place especially without back dutch doors, but can stand on an angle without the divider.

I would also worry about not having butt bars without the divider, because you don't want them sitting back on the ramp the whole ride (not all would, but my mare for example uses the butt bar as needed for stability and would be one to lean on the ramp). If you could set up some sort of butt bar, I would. With it being a new horse too, it's nice to have a bar to put up before the ramp in case they aren't the best at loading and try to step back before the ramp is all the way up.

I always bed, but plenty of people do not... my mare will pee occasionally and I like the added cushion and grip of shavings. If you are worried about dust, you can always use dampened pellets, like you said, just in the back of the trailer.

8. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Thanks you, a few years ago(maybe 2) we put in a new floor and hubby reinforced the frame by welding new steel along all the supports since the back at the very end of the floor boards had rusted through. we also put new tires on it since the tires were dry rotted. My friend was going to use it to take her horse to a local show recently so she and her hubby tested the lights (top marker lights aren't working but everything else is) and he said that the bearings didn't squeak so they should be good(although that still worries me because I don't know when they were repacked).

I definitely plan to tie just in case, I wouldn't want him attempting to turn around, and for the butt bar, there are 2 nylon straps, so I was planning on figuring out a way to connect them so that he couldn't lean full weight on the ramp.
    He was apparently a show horse and has loads of trailering expirence, but never know, my mare is terrible about loading and trailering and she raced lol.
    Maybe I'll bring a fly mask and bed the trailer, I want him to be comfortable, I'm just so worried about flying shavings

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

You can put a fly mask on the horse during shipping to protect the eyes if you're worried about bedding blowing around. .

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I would run the trailer up to the nearest place that deals with horse trailers and have them give it a once-over.

Don't worry so much. Tie the horse's head to the driver's side. Put straw in if you like, or not. You have to clean out the poop and urine afterwards, so it doesn't matter. I don't put fly masks on. There is very little likelihood of stuff flying into the eyes; you are moving forward, not backwards.