Trailer

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by jojozwiebel, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

That's not even close to "a lot of money for a trailer"...New two horse trailers with DRs sell for $12-20K these days, depending on how they are equipped and who made them. That's an older trailer, which is one reason it's priced so low. In addition to the things others have mentioned, the height at 6'6" is way below current standards, so be sure that it's going to be comfortable for the horse or horses you intend to haul with it...

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

I understand it's not expensive... I think it's pretty cheap and if it all checks out how he says I think it's a pretty good deal.

Horse is about 15hh Quarter Horse and he's calm in the trailer.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

I don’t think any price is worth you or your horse’s safety. I would never, ever, unless it was the most dire of emergencies, ever haul my horse in a manger trailer with a half escape door. It’s all fine until it’s not, and when it’s not you are trying to pull a horse off a manger or getting crushed against a wall.

waresbear and Peanut Palomino like this.
  4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

It also looks very hot, i wouldn't own that in Georgia, there's no airflow up front that i can see in the pics.

5. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

2 full size escape doors and chest bars. Looks like less rust.

Attached Files:

6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

That one is a much better option. 7' height, too. It's heavy by today's standards, but it's probably all steel. Be sure it's checked out very carefully for structural rust.

I missed the mangers in the first one and I agree that I would never haul horses in that type of trailer, personally.

7. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

This one is 2 hours and a half away lol... I think tomorrow we are going to the trailer dealership but I don't think we will be able to afford any of the newer ones. But who knows. I just need something safe and little.

8. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

A new basic Valley, Corn Pro, etc is about $5000. Those Valley trailers are actually really nice. You will probably have to open your search far and wide to get what you're looking for - there won't be a ton close by. They may have some older used ones for less, but they hold their value pretty well since they're so inexpensive new. A good safe trailer doesn't fall into the $1000 price range very often.

And I'm going to assume you have a suitable tow vehicle for all of these.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Nursestephanie2

Nursestephanie2 Senior Member

Where in Ohio? I can help you look

10. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

I'm in Geauga county and can help look as well. @Nursestephanie2 where are you located? :)