Trailer

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by jojozwiebel, Jun 9, 2018.

1. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Trailer shopping is no fun but I think I like this one. He doesn't know the brand but claims it hauls well. I am aware that it will need new tires and maintence. My boyfriend welds, my dad and do wiring, and I can do cosmetic like painting, adding hooks, and replacing carpet.

It has escape doors and mangers with a large tack room. Windows open. $1900, but can probably get lower by paying with cash. I don't need a title were I'm at but will probably get one. He doesn't know brand or year but said he would check.

Other option is to go to a dealership and find a used one and hope they do payments or financing.

Attached Files:

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Usually there's a brand name somewhere on it, near the hitch often I think. I would make sure to look for rust on the flooring. Doesn't look bad and the price is startlingly low. Worth checking out hard IMO.

Pull those mats on the flooring and look for rust, heck I would crawl under it myself as much as I could.

Larkspade likes this.
  3. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Even though I'm the one purchasing it, my dad thinks this is a lot of money for a trailer but I tried to explain I need a safe trailer, not a cheap one. I'm assuming it is steel?

Larkspade likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Trailers aren't cheap. I've no idea on it myself.

I'm surprised it's so low.

5. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

I definitely plan to get on my hands and knees! :ROFLMAO:

6. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Has standard rust, he took it in on a trade from him neighbor, he has hauled horses, and it is steel. He says floors and frame are solid.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Thought so. Looks like a good deal.

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I would not buy any vehicle without a tittle....

I would insist on pulling the mats to inspect the floor.

These older trailers tend not to be very tall... is your horse under 15 hands?

New tires, breaks, and bearings will be over $1000. If you have to replace the floor it will be at least another $1000.

9. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

State of Ohio doesn't require a title for trailers. I would get one no matter what I purchase. He's 15hh but I will ask the guy the inside height.

I'm hoping any work it needs we will be able to do. Dad was a mechanic and boyfriend is a welder so I'm crossing my fingers it will be an easy fixer. But we have several trailer places.

Anything else to look for? Obviously no rotting floor boards and no structural rust.

10. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member