Trailer talk

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by kaitybug, Jul 28, 2015.

1. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

I personally really enjoy looking at different trailers that are for sale, and I thought it would be fun to talk about what everyone likes and dislikes in a horse trailer (and feel free to share pictures!). Right now I have a 2 horse slant with a good size dressing room, and I like it but it is no where near my dream or ideal trailer. My current ideal trailer is a 2 horse slant, gooseneck, no rear tack but a mid tack instead, with a medium sized weekender, or a small living quarters. I am just not a fan of trailers with rear tack areas, they all seem too small. Here are some examples of trailers I do like:
    (this one is the perfect size)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (A mid tack like this would be perfect)
    [​IMG]
    ( I really like the dividers of Merhow trailers)
    [​IMG]
    I will add more later, but now it's your turn!

2. hoofs_in_motion

hoofs_in_motion Senior Member

I have a 95' Diamond D 4 horse slant. I love it! Just a bit too big for me.

My ideal trailer would be a three horse slant, rear tack, dressing room with an A/C, drop windows on the head side, bus on the rear. And I would want it to be aluminum

3. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

What a fun thread! I'm obsessed with trailers too. I'm on my third one, and I think it's pretty darn close to my ideal/dream trailer. I also do not like rear-tack rooms.

My trailer:
    4 horse "Big Horse Model", 7'6" interior height and 7'6" interior width (XT and XW)
    Fully insulated, up the walls and ceiling - to keep horses cool
    Air Flow dividers - horses like to 'see'
    First stall has stud divider and escape door..we use it for Cargo/Storage
    3 remaining stalls are extra wide and extra long
    Front tack room and fully insulated dressing room with sleeping quarters (king size bed fits up in gooseneck area)

I've added a deep-cycle marine battery, 50 gallon water tank and pump. When we make camp, we move the tack out of the front area and set it up inside the trailer. So sweaty saddle pads, saddles, bridles....all that stuff is not up in the front with us when we sleep ;) Works great! We also put potty in back and cowboy shower in back too. No need for a LQ for me :) Keeps the length of the rig shorter, which I like. Mine is a 21 foot deck and we haul with a F-350 long bed, 4x4 :)

I don't have pics on this computer....maybe I'll add them later? :)

froglander likes this.
  4. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  5. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member

Haha Fancy and I are both trailer junkies!

Right now I have a Double D 2H GN straight load with manger tack and a sleeper, and a water tank with cowboy shower. I also have AC/heat but never use it because we never camp where there is power.
    It's a huge upgrade from what I had, but we've been planning the 'next one' already. I do prefer straight load, but not opposed to a slant if it's big enough. Rear tack would be ok, can't be any smaller than I have now (TEENY) I do insist that my tack be way separate from the sleeper because my horse sweats a rank odor. I hate ramps. The only other big thing I don't like about mine is no head windows.

The next one will have a weekender, I would like to have a little sink, stove, and bench seat. I've seen them in the size I like, want to keep the box a reasonable size for everyday use (I have to haul out to ride) I don't care about a toilet, am fine with a cowboy shower. Really like walk-through into the horse area, and a camper door with a screen. And I really want an awning!!!!

Fancy That likes this.
  6. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

^Like you mentioned, size is very important. While I would love a full living quarters, they are not only crazy expensive, but also a bit of a hassle in my opinion. I want a trailer that I can sleep and spent time in, but I don't want to haul a semi sized trailer!

freedom32 likes this.
  7. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member

Exactly--my friends that had the big rigs have sold them and now have 2H GN too. They are nice for extended trips, but not for every day use. I think mine has a 14 foot box, a friend of mine has one I love that's a 16--2 more feet I can handle. Heck looking around there are a ton of the big ones for sale now--hard to find the smaller ones like we have. We did look at a Keiffer Freedom 2H that was super nice, now if only we had a spare 35k LOL

Fancy That likes this.
  8. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

Another thing to talk, which is probably the most important part about a horse trailer, the actual horse area. What in particular do you look for and like? I have found that I don't like it when the wheel goes into the horse area like this:
    [​IMG]
    where this one there is not that bump:
    [​IMG]
    Now i'm not sure if that actually makes a difference, but I am not a fan of it. I would also want adequate lighting in the horse area and on the back for night time loading. My current trailer has a light in the horse area but it's not very bright. Fans would also be a big plus!

9. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

if you get a slant, in order for it to be wide enough for horse-sized horses to fit into it, the wheel well will almost certainly have to be inside the trailer since the max road width of a trailer like that is just over 8' wide. That's why it's done that way. if you get one that's 6'8 or 7' wide, then the wheels can be outside the trailer box.

I have a 2014 Merhow 2h straight with those dividers and it's a nice trailer. If I could do it again, I'd get a Cimarron 2h slant.

Fancy That likes this.
  10. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member

We're probably installing fans in the near future, they aren't that expensive. Lighting is great--I agree, and the LED stuff is super bright. I hate when they put mats on the walls for padding--if your horse leans they get black all over them.