Trailer shop of terror

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by CarlisleChipper, Sep 5, 2018.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

A copy paste of my review of a place I took my trailer to. Pics included. So frustrating!

I took my horse trailer here at the recommendation of the seller based on previous positive experiences. I needed to get a ramp assist consisting of 3 springs so I could lift the ramp up. I return 7 days later after they said my trailer would be ready at 4pm. When my trailer is returned to me, there is only 2 springs on it and the work is not tidy, because people were coming out to clip portions of the springs off. I was able to lift the ramp but it was still considerably heavy but not impossible. Also, Mr. Cielo gave me an estimate of $350, and ended up charging me $400 and they did not explain well enough why it was $50 extra when the springs are only $40 each.

As they were hooking up my trailer they realized that my indicator lights weren't working. About an hour and a half was spent trying to make my lights work. When I brought my trailer in, everything worked because I had just had everything switched out to LEDs the day before. The problems with my lights caused me to miss my afternoon appointments. I agreed to let them keep my trailer one more day so that they could install the 3rd spring that I paid for and they agreed to rewire my lights for me. Also worthy of note was the status *inside* my horse trailer. It was covered in black and white residue and completely filthy.

The next day I show up at 4pm to pick up my trailer, again. The third spring is on and everything is painted and polished up and I can easily lift the ramp. This is the quality of work I should have gotten done when I picked it up the first time. My lights still don't work. We troubleshooted my truck, the wire hook up, traced wires, etc. Upon a worker undoing all the wiring the previous worker did he found that the wires were crossed. My lights still didn't work, spending an additional 2 hours waiting out there with them while they tried to fix it. They suggest I leave my trailer again and I said no. They've had 9 days to work on the trailer and left me with a broken trailer and more work to be done. To add insult to injury, they set my trailer on fire and failed to notify me. The black and white dust inside the trailer was from a fire extinguisher.
    I had to take my trailer home, 20 miles away, without any connections because everything was taken apart and I had to get my kids from school. No lights, no brakes.
    I returned today to ask for a partial refund. I wanted $200 of the $400 back. The work was done well, but not without a huge headache and causing not only electrical damage to my trailer, but fire damage as well. The owner refused to give me more than $70 back. Supposedly they fired the individual that set the trailer on fire because of welding sparks. Then one of the last things he said was "Well he just cut the wires when welding back there." Gee, nice to know that after their guys completely took apart my front wiring stuff. I've been without my horse trailer going on 2 weeks, and I'll be without it for even longer now as I try to fix whatever they did to my electrical system. The employees are very nice, and the work when it was actually done was very good, but everything else has made me *not* recommend this place.

And without further ado here are some pictures.
    20180831_171021.jpg
    20180831_171004.jpg
    This is how they left my wire hook up.
    20180831_165920.jpg
    20180831_165914.jpg
    Burnt bag of shavings that was brand new unopened
    20180831_165909.jpg
    Smoke damage

Attached Files:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. CarlisleChipper

received_1085716451577842.jpeg

All new lights inside and out.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I would ask for the name of their insurance company and tell them I'll be filing a claim ...alyhough, you should not have paid them to begin with. I would have freaked out. My trailer dude is in his 70a and , believe me, I am not looking forward to the day he retires. I do not suffer fools very well.

4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I'm sorry you went through all of that! Its easy to say I would not have paid them but I probably would have done just what you did. Thank goodness my husband takes care of all of the trailer maintenance. Him I can trust to do the job right and not make a mess of it!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Wow, very frustrating! I don't blame you for being very unhappy. I like BluemoonOKy's suggestion of contacting the insurance company. That's terrible customer service!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

They set it on fire while welding it?
    I would've taken pictures, left it there and had my lawyer contacting them in the morning~!! They fried your wiring and gawd knows what else they did~!!

7. FadingTwilight

FadingTwilight Full Member

Two thoughts.

1. You might want to file a police report. Insurance claims sometimes require this.

2. If you feel comfortable, contact your insurance company that covers your vehicle/trailer. Explain to them the situation, what happened, and seek their advice. If there has been fire damage to your trailer, this may fall into the realm of their territory. I don't necessarily mean that a claim needs to be filed against your insurance, but that they can help facilitate the filling of a claim against the appropriate party(parties). A fire, even if minor, can cause structural damage. You could let your insurance company know that you do not feel comfortable hauling your precious cargo in the trailer until it's been inspected (or whatever angle you'd like to take). Then see what they say or recommend. At the very least, they may point you in the direction of what action to take/what entities to contact.

The more I think about it. Absolutely consider filing a police report. :eek2: People have nerve.

Best of luck...

secuono likes this.
  8. CarlisleChipper

I didn't have insurance on that trailer. I've actually gotten rid of it since then because my horse wasn't tolerating the trailer. He had 2 pretty severe accidents in it. I should probably insure my new trailer considering it is a 2016 and I financed part of it.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

WOW. I would demand a full refund. They did everything wrong and then some.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

I’d double check, if that is a secured loan, the bank likely requires insurance on their collateral. If you don’t get it, they can call your loan.

My trailer is not financed but it’s still fully insured. On a pretty expensive trailer it’s only about $359 a year.