Trail Course Bridge Design

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by tlwidener, Mar 4, 2009.

1. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

Ok all you show experts. I need to build a trail course bridge for the 4-H kids to practice with, and I'm not having much luck finding a standard design. Per the AQHA rules, the bridge needs to be at least 36" wide and at least 6' long with or without siderails.

It would be nice to have one that could be moved easily by two people.

Anybody know where I can get some schematics? I searched the AQHA rulebook and didn't see a design or pattern. There's not one in all my 4-H horse show rule books.

Help me please :eek: Thanks so much!!:)

2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

Pictures would be great. . . at a show or at home practicing or just pics of your bridge.

3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

Just bumping up :) Really need to see some pics or a layout.

4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

Nobody shows in trail classes?

5. QHKate

QHKate Full Member

We have one that just looks like a skid, only longer, pretty much. :)

It's about 3' X 6', basically just an open bottom box with slats across the top.

Looks like this: (not my pic)

[​IMG]

tlwidener likes this.
  6. pinevalley

pinevalley Senior Member+

Here is one from IBHA that we saw last year:
    [​IMG]

Here is one from another IBHA club, also the bridge used by our Foundation QH show-both of which are held at the same grounds:
    [​IMG]

I have tons of pics from trail but here are two that I have on this computer.
    You can pretty much use a skinny pallet reinforced with plywood on top-shown above. Remember to keep the weight down as they can get quite hard to move easily-your ring crew will really hate you if you get it too heavy.
    I can recall most being flat, which are safer in my opinion in wet footing/conditions. The IBHA one on top isn't bad, but I recall showing over one once that was several degrees too steep and some of the horses hindquarters were sliding coming down-while the bridge was pretty, poor design that was very unsafe.

tlwidener likes this.
  7. Pally

Pally Senior Member+

Most that I see in people's barns are made from 2 X 4s or 2 X 6es. One makes up each side, and the ends are cut on an angle (about 45 degrees, not the long shallow angle like in pinevalley's first pic). Then the other 2 X 6's are bolted on the top, with one board at each end making the sloped section. It can be a little heavy but two people move it easily, one with some maneuvering. I'm terrible at describing, lets see if I can find a picture.

Well strange pic but like this without rails
    http://www.palaestra.com/jumpinghorse.jpeg

Just make sure whatever you use can safely hold a horse's weight on it.

And from personal experience you might want to paint it (or have a piece of flat plywood painted white that they can also practice with). I thought my horse had the bridges down pat (he would even go up one that was made far to high and steep) but we'd only practiced over natural wood, and when we got to the show he was not so keen on their bright white bridge...lol.

tlwidener likes this.
  8. e_watson09

e_watson09 Senior Member+

I just scanned my 4h project book for you, and it has a how to build a bridge page haha. So PM me with your email because I don't know how to upload it on here because its the wrong file type.

tlwidener likes this.