Touring the show grounds

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by CarlisleChipper, Feb 17, 2019.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

So the PLAN was... to school multiple times at the show grounds prior to the show on the 23rd. Well we all know how that went. Henry hurt himself, we lost the schooling opportunities. We may have one chance to school there before the show, given he is sound, which is still up in the air.
    So instead of a full blown schooling I am going to take him on Tuesday and just hand walk him. Hopefully we can stay for a couple hours and really get him comfortable there. He is generally reasonable but this will be a new place for both of us. Super local and inviting. He isn't a hot horse knucklehead type. So I am hoping that he is just "meh" about it. I often say I am more spookier than most horses, so this is for me too. I know that in the future we won't have these opportunities when we start showing at other venues. I'm hoping for a nice confidence boosting experience so he has a really positive time at the actual show.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

For any of my multi day shows, I go the day before. Gives me time to let them settle, lunge, ride, wash, braid/band etc.

3. CarlisleChipper

That's typically what my barn does at the away shows. This is just a local one day schooling show. I am nervous, I haven't shown in 10 years, this is our first show together, his first show period. :willynilly:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Work on you being not nervous and I bet he will take it all in stride. I know you know this and I know it is easier said than done but keep trying.
    I bet you will do just fine with this show, schooling or not.

5. CarlisleChipper

Thank you for your encouragement. I have to remember that I know someone that took him right out of the pasture after a month off to go somewhere he has never been and XC schooled just fine before I put all this work into him. Was not able to tour the grounds today as the owner is not home and it’s gross outside. Tentative to school on Thursday!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Alsosusieq2 and equinitis like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

Generally we would go to shows on Wednesday or Thursday, leaving as early as possible, get there as quick as we can, then spend as much time as possible on Thursday, grazing the horse in all the areas he'll need to be for the show, and then spend time leading and then riding on a loose rein, in all the warmup and riding areas. Then get off, graze horse around the riding arenas. Especially around the judge's boxes.

Amazing how well that works.

The other thing I've done with a young horse is taken the horse to the show and scratched all the classes I was entered in. The horse spends 3-4 days in the stall and in grazing areas, eating, eating and eating. Maybe 15 minutes of longeing near the stall (if permitted, obviously, or else in the longeing area nearest the stall), during which he is allowed to do almost anything he pleases(youngsters tend to call a lot), lots of eating on the way there and back, and no real work, maybe just a little brief hack on a loose rein around an area near the barn. And go home.

NEXT show, baby gets to eat around all the riding arenas, maybe longed in the warm up area for 10 minutes or so, then eat eat eat eat. Maybe sit on baby in the warmup area, on a loose rein, AND THEN MORE EATING.

Result? A horse that for the rest of his life, thinks of shows as one long picnic with brief and unimportant interruptions.

7. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

LOL we are living the same life!!! Last summer I took Ayah to the show grounds (just up the road and not worth the time it took to hook up the trailer) and let her walk around and bubble snort all she wanted to. There was a show in full force that day so all she had to do was look around. She did that for a while with no freak outs so I took her inside (the show was outside on a nice, sunny day) and schooled her in both rings in there. Then we went outside and I schooled her in the warm up ring with other horses. All the action was a little disconcerting to her at first but then she couldn't have cared less.

We were supposed to head to our first show on March 2nd but the weather forecast is horrible and, truthfully, we aren't ready yet - just a few more pieces to the puzzle. It will be my first show in eons and her first show ever. We're shooting for the April show.

Good luck to both of you as you move forward on this great adventure!

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  8. CarlisleChipper

Good luck to you as well!

9. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Thank you :) I'm so excited!