Touching story close to home...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, May 14, 2018.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

This is the FB post copied and pasted. This story is from just a couple towns over from me, and the farm is run by my vet's family (Burkland Farm). I have SRH, Dr. Noble especially, to thank for my two old, happy, healthy ponies :)

"Here is the story of our orphaned filly... First off Lady "Stonecroft Flammable" got very sick at the end of March beginning of May. We thought we were going to lose her. After a trip to the Tufts Emergency Clinic and not finding out anything. Dr. Ron Vin came and did a Spinal Tap, Belly taps and deduced it was some sort of bacterial infection. While this is going on constantly checking to make sure the baby was still alive. After being treated for a month, Lady was finally better. Fast forward to Friday 5/4. She had the foal about 11 PM Friday night, we called the vet my mom who happened to be on. She came down at 12:30 made sure everything looked ok, just to be on the safe side. Checked her again at 4 and filly was nursing. At 5:30, found lady not doing so well... cold gums, temp 92, shocky, laying down, etc. Treated her but to no avail, so we put her to sleep around 8:30 am.
    While this is going on up the road at Jim Hardy's at 5 am a rescue from a kill pen in Texas had a filly of her own who is owned by Deirdre Quirk. Which by the way she had no clue was pregnant when she rescued her or when she was due. So Caleb Noble and Emily Noble had the idea to try to put our filly on with Cinder. So we trucked the filly borrowing Betty Bilton trailer to Jim's @ 8:30 am. The mare let her nurse, but was unsure. Finally after hanging out all day we brought all 3 back to our farm. We still were unsure if this whole thing was going to work. Melanie Noble slept in the barn, feeding her Formula from a bucket (she would not take a bottle) and making sure that no one got hurt. Miraculously Cinder accepted her. She allows our filly to nurse when her filly is sleeping CInder is definitely much more protective of her foal, but has become attached to ours. Though the situation has not been ideal and was very tense at times, our prayers have been answered and we are very blessed. Our uncle Dr. Robert Orcutt said, " that it was a miracle that we had a living foal. Most mares would have sacrificed the foal to save themselves", but Lady did not. This is a very simplified version of the story, but you get the idea. We really need to give a big shout out to Ray Belle thanks for always being there to lend a hand, Helen Noble for caring so much for our animals, everyone from SRH Veterinary Services, Dr. Ron Vinn, Deirdre Quirk for going along with this crazy idea. Caleb, Emily, Mel, the girls and my self thank all of you. It takes a village especially in this case. Attached are photos from the last few days. Today was the first day that we had turned the family of 3 out together. The darker filly is Lady's and the bright bay is Cinders baby....we will keep you posted as this journey continues"
    FB_IMG_1526305436253.jpg
    Burkland Farm

2. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Wow that's amazing! What a story.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Bittersweet...
    Amazing that Cinder is now caring for both foals.

4. Bebe

Bebe Full Member

Cinder was rescued and now she rescued the new foal... Karma :)

mooselady, ginster and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Interesting story and glad it worked out, it so rarely does. Great outcome. :)