Totaled or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Arem, Jan 10, 2017.

1. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

It'll probably be close if not totaled.
    I'd do the same, do a buy back and fix it good enough to run awhile longer.
    Assuming that it is okay structurally.

Arem likes this.
  2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

And the official result is....

Fixed!

I should get it back by the end of the week. I'm still going to upgrade to something else in the (hopefully) near, but I guess I'll be going back to plan a: selling it outright or trading in.

So either way it would have gone would have been a win/win. :rofl:

3. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Great!! At least that gives you some time to get some money and figure out what you want rather than being forced into it now. :)

Arem likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

A mechanic who did a lot of insurance work told me that as a general rule, if the airbag was correctly deployed, there is a good chance a car is totaled. But for example, when my husband's car was badly wrecked(and the air bag was deployed), the repair estimate was within $1 of being totally wrecked, and the insurance company permitted him to have it repaired, lol.

And even if a car is totaled, often one still has the option of getting it repaired, in some form or another.

5. livelaughride

livelaughride Full Member

Glad they got it fixed. I would have expected it to be a write off. I was in a VERY low speed accident (someone reversed into me. They couldn't have been going more than 10 or 15 km/h) and totalled my very first car. I hadn't even owned it for 36 hours yet =( Caused over $4000 of damage to my car, and there was only a scratch in the paint on his car. Luckily not my fault so his insurance paid me out. Got a cheque for $3200, and had just purchased the car for $2700. But dealing with his insurance was such a pain, made me feel like I actually worked for that extra $500!

Arem likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Try to sell it to a private person for cash and pray they don't check it's history on Car Fax~!!
    ;)

Arem likes this.
  7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

That car has the 3.8l motor in it, yes? If so, keep it. Don't you dare sell that car. With only (yes, ONLY) 170,000 on the motor, that thing has plenty more life in it. I've had 3 different Buicks, all with the 3.8l in it. First one was just shy of 400,000 miles and I only got rid of it because the body of the car was going to carp. The 2nd one had over 250,000 on it, and my 3rd that I have now has only 111,000 and I bought it at 90,000 something. They are the BEST gas v6 motors you can find in a sedan, and it's a shame that they had to discontinue them due to emissions.

If you do sell, don't sell it cheap. Knowledgeable car folks will snatch that car up in a hurry.

Arem likes this.
  8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

If only it could pull a trailer. :(
    I'm not much of a car person. I'm not sure what motor it has in it, actually. My dad seemed to think it had the bad motor in it and not the good one. Who know, he could be wrong. He's been biased against it for. The start.

I've had one other person tell me those are super good cars.

It was naughty, though, in the beginning. Broke something major in a cylinder but thankfully I knew to stop it and shut it off right away when it went. It would have been toast, but dad is handy and he was able to do whatever "one try only" magic it needed. It's been well behaved ever since so I'm hoping that was just a fluke.

I wish it wasn't such a granny driving car, though. I got quicker response out of my little 4cyl Saturn. (Those things run and run, too, if you make sure you watch the oil. Frame rusts out before the engine goes. RIP, Old Blue.)

ETA
    Buick has a 3.1

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    lucky_pine likes this.
  9. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Ewww. Get rid of it!

You should drive my '07 Lucerne. There is absolutely nothing grandma about this car and I'm loving it! I travel quite a bit for work and it'll get up and scoot on the interstate. It handles better than my Cadillac did and it's fairly responsive.

I'm actually in the market for a truck myself, and we might end up trading the Lucerne in to get what I need for work. I'm really hoping we can make two different car payments work because I will be heartbroken to see it go.

Arem likes this.
  10. joce

joce Senior Member

Car fax is a scam. Most places don't report to it. (Husbands spec v was almost totaled- head on hit by chevy truck and in shop forever, bit shop that didn't report to car fax!, sold like new!). In fact if you ever have to get a car repaired make sure you go somewhere that doesn't report to them. And of course car fax doesn't account for people that flip cars out of their own garage like my husband and their friends.