Totaled or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Arem, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Yep. Salvage title.

ETA
    They can be sold and bought with it, too.

manesntails likes this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

@Arem, If I were you I would not report it to the Ins. Co., I'd just go find a door at a junk yard and have it put on.

3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Wow! Looks a bit worse than mine, though. Though it is a little worse than this picture makes it look. It did kind of bow out the interior of the door.
    IMG_0026.JPG

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Too late :p
    There was a police report, so I had to, anyway.

And it would cost more to fix that my deductible, probably. Possibly. I wouldn't be inclined to drive around in a different-coloured/bad looking door long term. I may drive an old, cheap car, but dang it! It's gonna look nice. :p

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If they total it, you'll have enough money to buy the door AND the paint job for it.(y).......Hopefully, that is.

Someone backed into my door back in the 80's. Two door Chevy Malibu. It was four hundred just for the door at the junk yard. I had it painted for another hundred.

Arem likes this.
  6. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Junk yard door and a careful day of rattle can paint.

Just think: It could be any color, as long as Rustoleum makes it!

7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

If you have collision coverage (many folks don't carry it on vehicles of that age unless it's financed) they will not pay out more than the vehicles ACV and some companies, as someone already mentioned pay out slightly lower.

The most cost effective fix for that particular damage is likely sourcing a door from a salvage yard and painting it to match. This assumes there's no frame damage and you cannot assume that even for a "low speed" accident...there is more force involved that one might think due to the mass of the other vehicle coming into play.

I have what is a relatively small dent on the right rear door of my Grand Cherokee from a "miss and run" incident in a DC parking lot where I had to avoid a speeding Suburban and clipped a concrete barrier in the process. The estimates for that come in at just under $2000 and that's with a new door because it's faster and less labor intensive to do it that way. Re-skinning has a lower parts cost, but the labor is substantially more.

BTW, you don't have to accept that the car is totaled, although if the frame is damaged you may be better off. If it's just the door and they feel it's more costly than the ACV, then abandon the claim and replace the door privately with a salvage unit as already mentioned.

Arem and manesntails like this.
  8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Yeah, it has full coverage. It may be old, but it's the best car I've got. So full coverage, it is! :p

I've had people tell me to just put liability on it, but I've always thought... but what if I wound up in a accident rendered it definitely irreparable? I think, even in this case, it will pay off. Old car is still worth something and at least this way, I can get a check for it, if need be.

That's amazing about your jeep! Wow!

Thanks for the advice!

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It could easily be totalled. Get liability in the future and save the difference in cost towards a bad accident.

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Then I do the what ifs.

What if I haven't saved enough before something happens... what if I need a rental for an extended time... what if what if what if.

Full coverage, I get some peace of mind. Just the way I like to do it. :)

ChestersMomma likes this.