Totaled or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Arem, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I was recently in a minor, low speed fender-bender. My family seems to think there is a chance the insurance company will total my car. The damage seems minor to me so I'm skeptical.

So! Wanna put your 2 cents in while I wait? :p

The car is a 1999 Buick Century Limited. Leather interior. Power seats, power windows, power locks, yadda yadda yadda. 170,000 miles but well cared for. Body is mint except for minor rust in the typical Buick places. Interior is super clean and nice. Values around $2,000 and is the nicest $2,000 car you'll ever find.

The damage appears to just be the door, which is dented in pretty badly. Opens and closes, but not well. Can and will come unlatched unless to you lift the door while you close it. (I've been sliding out the passenger. Which is already super old, in case you wondered :p)

I have a hard time believing they'll total a car over door damage. My family has never liked my car and think the insurance company won't want to pay to fix it. I feel like the repair will cost them less than the total loss check. What do you think? :D

2. joce

joce Senior Member

Is the frame bent? Getting hot on the side like that can cause other issues you don't see right away.

If it's really just the door get one from the junk yard. Screw the ins.

3. all4him

all4him Senior Member

When I had my accident 5 years ago yesterday, I was told they will total it if the damage is 80% of its value.

SEAmom and Arem like this.
  4. all4him

all4him Senior Member

My accident was mainly in the driver's side door and it turns out they broke the pillar of the safety cage behind the driver's seat (I think my son calls that the B pillar?). MUCH bigger work than just the door.

Amarea, Arem and joce like this.
  5. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they totaled it. If the cost of body work for you is anything close to what it is here, it doesn't take much to write off a car. Especially an older one.

ginster and Arem like this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

No idea. I'd be surprised if the frame was bent, though. Low speed crash, didn't even jar me. The door is crumpled pretty good, though.

If they do total it, I'm thinking about buying it back, doing a super cheap repair, and driving it around a while longer. Depending on what that will cost me altogether. I'll save the check, add to it, and bide my time for the right truck to come along. :cool:

7. all4him

all4him Senior Member

This was my door on a 10 year old Dodge Grand Caravan. I was driving north at about 35 mph. A man traveling on a street going east that had a stop sign at the road I was on stopped, looked one way and not the other and then he started driving straight from a stop - and hit me in the driver's side door. So it was no more than 20 feet tops? I was on a two lane road so it was just as long as it took him to cross the southbound lane before he hit me. Low speed but enough to total the van that was worth about $5,000. :( Oh and the frame pillar behind the front door is broken at the bottom weld.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Arem likes this.
  8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Look up the make, model, and year in the Kelly blue book on line. If it costs more to fix it than it's worth in the Blue book, it's totalled.

pamnbam and equicrzy like this.
  9. equicrzy

equicrzy Senior Member

If a car had been declared totaled by the insurance company, is it possible to buy it back and drive it, legally, on the road?

Amarea likes this.
  10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I believe you can in some states.