total saddle fit cinches

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by skipsangelheir, Jan 1, 2019.

1. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

I would recommend something like a mohair roping girth over the TSF girths. I use to be well on the TSF bandwagon until I started to notice that the girths had way more pressure at the back of the girth than the front of the girth. The fleece on my TSF cinch also fell apart with fairly light use. I have since sold all of my girths and switched to the Collegiate anatomic girths for english riding, and a Classic Equine mohair girth for western riding.

2. skipsangelheir

skipsangelheir Registered

thanks guys! ill just stick with a mohair cinch. i can see how they would put pressure along the back, i was just hoping that they wouldnt. seems like a good idea, just not executed well. any prefrences between alpaca or mohair?

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

There are other companies who do a much better job at the anatomical girth shape. Prestige, County & Fairfax all have lovely designs that don’t gape, but are much more expensive. Sadly they don’t make western versions.

4. zomer

zomer Senior Member

Rhythm - I have a TSF western cinch for all of my horses and I love them. I dont' have to cinch as tight and I have no saddle slippage which was an issue for my round guy. But you are far more of an expert than me - how can I tell if it's gaping or putting too much pressure towards the back? I would hate to think I'm using something that is doing damage while i rave about it to others!! Thanks in advance.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

it's pretty simple. Stick your finger in the front of the girth and then at the back. If it's looser in the front than the back, it's putting more pressure at the back.

Every single one I've seen IRL has gaped. Every single photo I've seen of one online, or in advertisements online by the company itself, gaps. I'm sure there's some rare horse it doesn't gap on, but I haven't found it yet.

waresbear and zomer like this.
  6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I do not have a problem with the western cinch and uneven pressure.... I did with the Dressage girth.... I like the western girth I returned the dressage. I believe the difference in the buckles between western and English makes a big difference.

zomer likes this.
  7. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

@Kristal H no gap, but it does look snugger at the back.

None the less, if you like it & your horse likes it, who cares what I think or have seen?

Just as a note, I have seen the western ones IRL too.

9. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

I ADORE mine!

Every western saddle in the world would slide down the neck of my downhill, mutton withered, flat backed, wide ribbed QH, and both string or felt cinches would end up smooshed into his elbows by the end of our ride. My saddle stays exactly where it should with my TSF cinch. I have black fleece on black leather, and am glad I bought one size down from what he measured.

10. palogal

palogal Senior Member

So far, I like it. My mare seems comfortable and my saddle sits still. So, it gets my vote.