total saddle fit cinches

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by skipsangelheir, Jan 1, 2019.

1. skipsangelheir

skipsangelheir Registered

hi! im needing a new cinch to fit my now plump new mare. all the cinches i have are for my smaller framed girl, and are just too small for misty. im seriously looking at a total saddle fit cinch, but would like some unbiased reviews. im also thinking of switching material. the cinch i use the most now(if i remember the name right) is a soft touch by classic equine. its a super smooth neoprene, it almost feels like silicone. i know total saddle fit has 3 materials available, being fleece, neoprene and felt, im just not sure which one i would get. any advice would be appreciated!

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

The totl saddle fit can be helpful if you have a horse with a forward girth groove. I have the TSF girth with the felt liner.... if you get the felt liner you need order a slightly larger girth.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I loathe those girth/cinches and suggest my clients get something else. The majority of them gap at the front and are tight across the back edge. If it doesn’t gap, it’s still tight along the back edge. That means it isn’t distributing pressure properly, and enough use can makenhorses quite sore across their pectorals.

waresbear likes this.
  4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I returned the TSF dressage girth as It did gap in the front and I much preferred the county logic, but the western cinch in the same horse worked really and I think it had to do with the differnce in the buckles

5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

This horse has a very forward girth groove, mutton withered, pear shaped back and very wide sprung ribs.... he is a saddeling nightmare. This is the TSF girth and it keeps the girth from galling him under the elbow. It also helps line up the billet and girth although on this horse/saddle we would like to still need another inch in the offset of the girth.
    6B48D936-9335-4EB1-8FFC-5D816057C555.jpeg

6. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I bought one used for one of my mares. It should be here soon, I'll let you know.

7. skipsangelheir

skipsangelheir Registered

if you dont like the TSF cinch, what kind do you reccomend? im not big on the cheaper neoprene material, it seems to almost grab onto skin and gall. im not opposed to the classic mohair cinches, just looking for opinions on other types. ive also been looking at this one, im just worried about the fleece matting and being uncomfortable.

Attached Files:

8. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Had the older one, bad edge pressure.
    If you're going to try one, get the new version with elastic in the center. It should have more even pressure.

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I'm not a neoprene fan either. Felt or mohair for western, leather for english. Of course there are some horse, rider, saddle combo's who do super well with neoprene, but I prefer leather myself.

waresbear likes this.
  10. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I had a TSF dressage girth that I used for a long time, and my horse ended up getting super sore from it because of there being more pressure in the back. I loved how stable it kept her saddle without pulling it up onto her shoulders, but it obviously was not working for her. I like leather or wool, but would pick felt over neoprene for sure.