Tornado wat do you do?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by horselover1113, Mar 30, 2010.

?
  1. Put them up

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Leave them out

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. It depends

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. horselover1113

horselover1113 Senior Member

Do you put your horses up during a tornado watch or leave them out?

2. haunani

haunani Senior Member+

Definitely out. Want to give them a chance to get away from things if they have the need. If they're locked up in a barn, you run the very real risk of the barn collapsing on top of them.

3. hunterjumper200

hunterjumper200 Banned

Luckily I have never had to even think about that!! I have no idea what I would do :eek2:

4. horselover1113

horselover1113 Senior Member

Thats why I am asking. Cause idk. Trainers have told me different things.

5. xlilxonex

xlilxonex Banned

I would leave them out, in the biggest pasture you have.

6. tvfarm

tvfarm Auto Banned

We leave them out.
    The bigest pasture is not always best, use the one that has the best natural protection. Deep creek beds, ravines and so forth.

7. equineeventer33

equineeventer33 Senior Member

Our barn is in the pasture so usually when bad weather is predicted we just open the barn, put everything up, and let them go in when they want. That way they can get away from rain/hail/etc. But 2 nights ago we had a few tornado watches and sever weather warnings. We just got a new horse so we couldn't open the barn yet. Our barn is center aisle and each stall has a front door and a back door. We put them in their stalls with a single stall guard on each door. These stall guard hooks break very easily. My horse snapped his the other day just leaning on it a little. This way they can be out of rain/hail, they're safe from lightning, and if a tornado comes... I'm sure they will be plenty scared enough to bust out of there stall guards. If one goes, they'll all go.
    Usually we just open the barn, but when that is not possible theyre locked in with stall guards. We never close the stall doors on them when we are not there in case of a tornado or a fire or something.

8. HUS_WP_lovr

HUS_WP_lovr Senior Member+

I put them in the barn always, tornado or hurricane. Our barn was built to pretty high hurricane standards and I can only hope it protects them! I would be a basket case if they were out and I think they would be too, the rain that might accompany it, would get them, they're stall babies LOL.