1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

"Tootie" OTTB Poss. Purchase Conformation Critique ADDED Video and pics of lameness

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by ShelbyN91, Jun 11, 2013.

1. ShelbyN91

ShelbyN91 Senior Member

Hey Guys,
    Sorry I haven't been on in a while. Life's been crazy! Anyway, I'm getting back to riding (finally) and am currently managing a polo barn here in town. One of the grooms owns this very sweet OTTB Mare he's looking to sell. He's strapped for cash and is basically taking whatever he can get for her.

As you can see she is skinny and banged up (came in looking like that, working on fattening her up) but she has a great demeanor and willing personality.

Im looking to do a little bit of polo with her and possibly some small small events as I'm not really eventing anymore. I just want a general conformation critique as I've been out of the horse works for quite some time.

Thanks in advance!

"Tootie"
    10 YO 15hh Off The Track Thoroughbred Mare
    Raced 14 times
    Storm Cat and Alydar on her Sires side
    Seattle Slew and Buck Passer on her Dams
    Pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/yantsumadis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. Le Corsaire

Le Corsaire Senior Member

Well, for one, she would look COMPLETELY diferent with some topline muscles and some fattening up. Has she been on any ulcer treatment? If not, it might be an option. Her legs look good to me and she looks as if she could need a little TLC - might bring the "smile" back to he face. Other than that she really looks good to me. I know this is not much on her actual conformation, but Im not a big fan of judjing a horse by its conformation. You get the ugliest horses that perform like none other and then you get the best looking horses that can't be bothered... Attitude and heart plays a MUCH bigger role when choosing a horse (IMO). If you like her and you guys have chemistry, then I would go for it if I were you...:)

1 person likes this.
  3. fennecfox

fennecfox Senior Member

I think her #1 job is to gain weight. She looks very rough right now, but there's a nice horse in there. Pasterns might be a little long but nothing too concerning.

4. ShelbyN91

ShelbyN91 Senior Member

Thanks for your quick replies! She definitely needs some weight on her. She's been here about a week and arrived in that condition. I highly doubt she's been treated for ulcers, or even wormed, but since I don't own her I can't overstep my bounds. Like I said she belongs to one of the grooms who I spoke with about upping her feed and putting her on a weight builder but I think he's trying to save money and she's getting the short end of the stick. *face palm*

5. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

6. ShelbyN91

ShelbyN91 Senior Member

Thanks guys. I rode her today and she was very good, super smart for being so green. But she was lame...def off on her left hind. I'm not sure what's going on :/

7. Le Corsaire

Le Corsaire Senior Member

You know there is no way to say for sure, but once you buy her, perhaps you can have a physio or chiropractor out to have a look at her - My OTTB had problems with his pelvis - it was out of allignment and that caused him to be sore on his right hind - maybe its the same with her... just a thought??

1 person likes this.
  8. ShelbyN91

ShelbyN91 Senior Member

Could be. She's just placing her back left down funky. It almost looks like the pelvis or hip. Ill try to post a video for y'all.

9. Patty Stiller

Patty Stiller Senior Member

She appears to have some significant hoof issues and in need of some good farrier work.
    I see the signs of a severe negative plantar angle of the hind feet, could be the source of the hind end lameness.

1 person likes this.
  10. Patty Stiller

Patty Stiller Senior Member

Close up hoof pics taken straight on at the soles and level from the side would help too.