Tooth Issues...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Jan 7, 2019.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I posted on my PPID thread, especially considering tooth problems seem to be common with Cushing's horses, but I figured I'd post a new thread in case others are interested.

Jessie had a 6 month dental flowup last week. She had one tooth cracked above the gum line 6 months ago, and started showing signs of discomfort and infection last week. I started her on antibiotics for fear that the infection would get out of control with the PPID and into the sinuses. The vet came out, was shocked by how sharp she was, then realized upon further exam she had something like 8-9 additional fractured teeth (cracks and slab fractures) :eek:

We don't know why her dental health has declined so much in the last 6 months, and took radiographs to investigate further. My vet says rads appear normal, but if when she comes off the antibiotics she continues having issues, she'll send them off to a dentist for another opinion.

I am open to any and all opinions and thoughts. While she is feeling much better and chewing well, I am still lost as to why she aquired so many fractures in such a short period of time :confused:

Here are her rads for anyone interested!
    O'Malley0001-01.jpeg O'Malley0003-01.jpeg O'Malley0004-01.jpeg O'Malley0002-01.jpeg O'Malley0005-01.jpeg O'Malley0006-01.jpeg O'Malley0008-01.jpeg O'Malley0010-01.jpeg

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Tooth problems are indeed a big problem with Cushings. Both my old Ben and my pony had/have teeth problems with Cushings.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

That's interesting. There's a horse in my barn that they are looking at testing for Cushings that they did find he has hardly any teeth left at about twenty.

4. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Is the vet that did the 6 month follow up the same person that did the dental 6 months ago? Or two different people?

5. DocsLglyBlonde

Two different vets from the same practice, both of which I trust very much! I did consider that the first did not see all the fractures, but I can't imagine she missed that many :confused:

6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

You know, I was JUST reading about this today with Cushing horses and was going to post on your other PPID thread. Tooth problems are on the list of PPID issues. With my horse Sidney, who has Cushings, I've noticed some vision "weirdness" every now and then. Today, the barn help texted me and said he was really quiet this morning, ate his grain but didn't go to his hay outside. She also said, that she approached him from the side and it was like he didn't see her at first, then did and jumped a little. Neurlogic (sp) and blindness issues can arise, so I called the vet today and waiting for a scheduled appointment. When I stopped at the barn today, he looked up and saw me standing at the fence and came over. I guess I'll find out more when the vet comes.

7. DocsLglyBlonde

That's what I keep reading too, just nothing so drastic in such a short time period... But who knows! Jess definitely has blah days and perky days. It's almost like they can have mood swings, which makes sense with it being a hormone related disease.

Hopefully Sid checks out!! It might be worth checking his levels to see if you need to adjust his dose. I really like the FB group "Equine Cushings Disease Horses (PPID)." I've learned a lot from there, even though it seems most of the 12k+ members are British and products/feed availability differs.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

^Thanks Doc! I'm having his labs done when the vet comes. His first lab showed very low on the scale for PPID, but it's been close to a year now, so another check is due!! He hasn't had any teeth issue like your mare which is a good thing. I hope all goes well with her!