Too Much Worming Paste...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by countingnumbers, Sep 8, 2008.

1. countingnumbers

countingnumbers Full Member

Does too much worming paste hurt them? I asked my aunty how much paste she gives my horse Chester and she said the hole lot. Does it hurt if you give it all too them?

2. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member+

With most of the paste dewormers, it's not likely to hurt them IF you are talking about giving a full tube to a full sized horse. However, with Moxidectin it is very important not to over-dose. And with Ivermectin, even if you aren't overdosing by much in some instances it can cause problems --certain plants can cause a normal dose to cause toxicity, liver dysfunction can lead to toxicity at normal doses, etc.

So, you are always better off dosing ANY medication per the label rather than "just giving it".

3. puzzles mom

puzzles mom Senior Member

I have heard of mini's being overdosed and having a bad outcome with some wormers (Quest is what comes to mind). If you have a full size horse, I wouldn't worry about it too much, the wormers I have seen have only gone to 1200 lbs so if your horse weighs in at the average 900-1000 lbs, it wouldn't be a lot extra. some people give horses a double dose of wormer if they are dealing with a heavy load and they handle that fine.

4. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

all depends on which dewormer was given....

5. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member+

If you are using an effective product, there is no need to double dose even for a heavy parasite load. The exception to this would be using pyrantel to treat for tapeworms--that is done by giving double the normal dose but it has also been tested and proven safe and effective.

6. luttrellfarms

luttrellfarms Senior Member

I have never heard of overdosing on anything from weaning age to full size adult. Typically, I give all my horses an entire tube at worming and have done so for years. We generally have 20-35 horses at a time. I would not worry.

7. shaiarabs

shaiarabs Senior Member+

Even with full grown horses quest needs to be given to the kilo, it can and has had catastrophic end...

8. Roly

Roly Full Member

Interesting, I was just asking me vet the other day because my pony ended up sucking an entire tube of wormer down because he is a little pig. My vet said with just about every commercial wormer it would take at least 6 tubes to even come close to overdosing on it. However problems arise when there was a big worm burden in the first place which is why some horses have a reaction to the wormer.

Not my opinion, but just following what my vet said :)

9. countingnumbers

countingnumbers Full Member

Ok thanks guys, Just thought I should check before I go giving him a whole tube full of worming paste. And Roly your lucky your pony is a pig sucking the whole tube down, Chester is probaly gonna be a pain giving half the tube to him.

10. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Unless your horses weigh under 1250, or 1100lb, then "an entire tube" could well be underdosing them.

And, as mentioned above, if you give "an entire tube" of Quest to a weanling, you may very well kill him, so yes, depending on the product, you can indeed overdose.