Too much on my plate

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by VanityVin, Apr 12, 2017.

1. VanityVin

VanityVin Registered

Not sure how I'm going to break this to the coach because I never know what she's going to say. I liked ihsa, and our team is great. However, first things first and that's school for me. I'm going to be a senior next year (technically super senior) and I don't really want the stress of the show environment to bog me down. Especially not in my final year. I just feel a tad bit bad because I've just been a walk-trotter about to point out. I don't really care for the college show atmosphere, and want to do riding as a de-stresser. We have a barn on campus and I guess I can do club or a riding class (again). As much as I love horses, I can't say it didn't stress me out knowing about an upcoming show, riding three times a week and school work suffering because of some of that. That and work created a lot on my plate. I've placed top three several times, got nine ribbons and I'm calling it quits. At least I got the experience.
    Anyone else feel/felt similar riding in college ihsa?

EnglishRider234 likes this.
  2. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

I am in college. I chose not to do our IHSA team the past few semesters because I show AQHA. I figure I ride and train every day anyway, why pay to do what I already get to do? Plus, my trainer puts me on all kinds of horses day in and day out (from giving a colt his first ride to seasoned show horses) so I still get the experience IHSA gives riders. It definitely is a lot to juggle full time school, work (I have to support my horse on my own), and riding but I find it 100% worth it!

I'm sure you won't be the first or last student to call it quits. School definitely comes first and foremost, and if the coach doesn't agree then that is not your problem! You have a career to work towards, and it sounds like you don't *love* riding for this team. Stick to your guns and do what is best for you :)

VanityVin likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Listen, school first. Smart choice. Be upfront and move forward. Horses a bit later. You'll be able to do more with a degree under your belt. Kudos to you.;)

VanityVin likes this.
  4. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

You are making the right choice, don't feel bad about that.

VanityVin likes this.