Tongue lolling with no control in new born foal

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Lyn Richardson, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Lyn Richardson

Lyn Richardson Registered

i have a young foal almost one week old - when born he seemed a dummy and was unable to suck even though instinct was strong - his tongue is fully out to the side - we had to box him and stomach tube him after hours of attempting poorly to gain suction.
    He was put back out with his mum and sucks now by some way or another he flips his tongue back into position and can then use it correctly when needed to gain suction however - once fed he has his his tongue hanging out all the time and cannot draw it into place
    Anyone else who can shed how this is going to go?
    Operation maybe down the track but how do you make a muscle stimulated?

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Please consult your vet...

But for *dairy calves* with this issue, we give 2 cc of Banamine orally to take the swelling down.

Might work for foals too, but ask the vet.

3. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

There's a horse at a barn I used to work at that was dumb as a box of rocks. Hyper, dumb looking, and dumb acting. And he stuck his tongue out to the side. Constantly licking and doing things with his tongue.

4. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

In foals this is one of the first signs of severe ulcers. I would be getting the vet out asap.

ginster likes this.
  5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Didn't @palimino57 have a foal that persistently stuck a tongue out? Pilgrim, maybe?

palimino57, ginster and DriftwoodsQHs like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

'Dumb acting' isn't what 'dummy foal' means.

Dummy foals do not function normally as newborns due to a massive infection in the placenta or other serious conditions that affect the brain, coordination, thinking.

Some of them can recover with intensive treatment, and some cannot recover.

From the OP:

Anyone else who can shed how this is going to go?
    Operation maybe down the track but how do you make a muscle stimulated?

These are questions for your veterinarian. He or she needs to evaluate the foal and determine what course of action should be taken. It may be as simple as medication to reduce swelling in the tongue or it may be much more involved than that.

7. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

I was just retelling an experience o had with a horse that stuck out his tongue as well.

But thank you for the info!

8. Lyn Richardson

Thank you ~ that is it ~ a swollen tongue ~ I will follow your advice and talk to my vet thanks

9. palimino57

palimino57 Senior Member

@Dona Worry Was Sawyer. Vet found nothing wrong with er and came right at about 2? months old!

ginster and Dona Worry like this.
  10. Lyn Richardson

Solved! Thank you for the response ~ my vet returned to him (we stomach drenched colostrum after several hours to give him a good start as he was sucking poorly due to the tongue
    She prescribed anti inflammatory paste for infant foals ~ three days in to the seven day medication twice a day, the tongue has returned to its normal size and he is delighted ~ rips around the paddock very chuffed and trying out new tastes like oats and lucerne now the tongue is functioning
    Still medicating to ensure it is completely right as he rolls it about at times in his mouth - so I am thinking the base may still be enlarged a little
    Thank you everyone from the foal ❤️