tobacco as a wormer

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by WalkinHorseWomn, Feb 28, 2004.

1. WalkinHorseWomn

WalkinHorseWomn Registered

the locals here use tobacco as a horse wormer. I know it works because I have seen the worms in the fecals. But, what kind of worms does it kill.. and how much per horse should be given? pony [*]

2. tbluver

tbluver Banned

tobacco???as a horse wormer?

never heard of it, sounds like it could kill worms, but probably not too healthy????!!!!! Please fill me in, as i have never heard of anything like this???!!!

Nikki

3. Craig

Craig Senior Member

Just my opinion! Deworming a horse with Tobacco is an historic home method. The reason most people stopped using Tobacco is because the amount of Tobacco needed to kill worms, could also seriously damage or could even be fatal to the horse. This is due to changing times. As the years went on, worms became stronger and horses became less immune to them.
    Tobacco contains a neurotoxin which can be deadly to horses. It's not recommended as a dewormer.

<small>[ February 28, 2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Craig ]</small>

4. tn walker

tn walker Senior Member+

I have heard of using tobacco as a dewormer before, but I would not recommend it for the reasons stated by Craig. It's not a good thing in the long run. I would stick to the safer methods of deworming such as pastes, pellets, etc.

5. belle4

belle4 Senior Moderator

I just finished reading a book about the Civil War. It talks about using tobacco as a wormer in the 1860's. I think we may have progressed a little since then.

6. harli36

harli36 Senior Member+

There used to be a lady at the barn that I took lessons at that wormed her horse with tabacco. She did it because she wanted a more natural approach to killing the worms. She didn't like "pumping her horse up with chemicals " so she didn't use the conventional wormers. (Like tabacco isn't a chemical) Well in a very natural way her horse died like all others unfortunatly will. Only he died at the ripe old age of 12!!! It was from stomach problems I don't know what exactly I wasn't that close to her. I can't believe that people still do this to their animals when they know what the tabacco does to people. Please don't use it!!!

7. Miss Bandit

Miss Bandit Guest

12 isnt exactly a "ripe old age" now is it? eek!

8. harli36

harli36 Senior Member+

It's called sarcasm, Miss Bandit Sar-casm. :D LOL

9. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

There are a number of "horse health" magazines out there that cover dewoming programs and the proper dewormers to use and for which times are the best times to deworm.
    Here is one explaining tobacco use-
    "Tobacco was another popular home remedy for internal parasites, and one that some horses readily ate".
    "But although nicotine does have "some" anthelmintic properties, that it's "extremly toxic" in the doeses needed to kill worms".
    "Just giving a plug of tobacco isn't going to do anything, and the correct does would make the horse "quite sick".
    From THE HORSE (Your Guide To Equine Health Care)
    www.thehorse.com

10. Jumpers

Jumpers Banned

When I lived in the south, many backyard horse enthusiasts "wormed" their horses with tobacco because it was so "cheap." A guy I knew just ripped the filters off cigarettes and then fed the horse some cigarettes. I knew a couple other people would bought loose tobacco in a big tub and sprinkled some on the feed every day.

My question would be: If you can spend $11 on a tub of tobacco, why can't you spend $9 on a tube of legitimate horse wormer that is tested and proven safe and effective for horses?? :rolleyes:

Definitely not something I would give to my horses. I think I'll stick with wormer. :D