To pop or not to pop?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Silver Georgia, May 25, 2011.

1. Silver Georgia

Silver Georgia Senior Member+

Ant bites? I get them all the time during the summer on my feet from walking around barefoot and it's that time again. So do you pop your ant bites or leave them alone. I always pop mine but the one time I let one be it became incredibly painful then turned into a black freckle type deal which I still have on the top of my foot :no:

2. whisperbaby

whisperbaby Senior Member+

Hmmm..I've never had ant bites...I'd say don't pop...but that's cuz popping stuff stings and I'm a wuss.

3. SouthernJumper

SouthernJumper Senior Member+

My ant bites don't do that, but I think I'm allergic because one bite will streak all up my leg.

But, I would treat it as a sunburn and NOT do it. Once you do, you're open to infection.

4. Sandra-A1

Sandra-A1 Senior Moderator

Do not pop the fire ant bite pustule! Popping the pustule will only cause more swelling and worsen the infection. A small pustule will form at the site of the fire ant stings within a few hours to a few days.

5. Gotta Appy

Gotta Appy Senior Member+

If those ants are fire ants, absolutely NOT ! An antihistamine such as benadryl will help along with calamine lotion to relieve the swelling, itching and pain. That is about all you can do for fire ant stings.

Just adding that. . .fire ants are the only variety that I, myself, know of that can sting its victim multiple times like a wasp does and does NOT lose its stinger. Squeezing those pustules will drive the venom deeper into your skin, as well as make the spot more susceptible to infection.

6. CaitlynH

CaitlynH Senior Member+

Don't pop them, put a mixture of baking soda and water on it. You should mix it into a paste then apply. My family has doe that for a couple generations now and it's a wonderful home remedy. It makes the swelling go down, no itching at all, and the bite goes away faster.

7. Silver Georgia

its not fire ant thank God. Its just those little black irritating ones that bite and hang on until you flick them. :rolleyez:

8. farmeress

farmeress Banned

This...for any ant bite....only I will add flonora as an antihistimine to counter act the reactions I take with the bites

9. Luna9

Luna9 Senior Member+

I find popping them makes them stop itching and makes the go away and feel better. I always pop mine :eek:

10. Silver Georgia

^^Same here :eek:

1 person likes this.