To inject or not to inject?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by SEAmom, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

What rehab instructions did you get? Generally with something like this you want to focus on long & low and lots of straight lines while avoiding much bending, circling or spiraling.

Neck injections can be tricky and need to be done with a lot of care. Personally I’d talk to the vet about trying adequan or pentason to his program before trying the neck injection. They can help him and will generally increase the lifespan of the injections you’ve already done.

2. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

I wasn't given any specific restrictions by the vet so can't speak to that. He had a full body bone scan and subsequent x-rays and whatever else was needed for diagnosing.

Eta: He's on overnight turnout with the reset of the boys and always has been. 24/7 isn't an option, and there's no shelter or protection from the elements in the fields.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  3. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

I was given written report when I picked him up and it said walk under tack for one week before trying trot. Call with results. I've called three times and get no callback, so I'm sticking with walking and have been doing straight lines in the outdoor where it's flat, but the indoor doesn't have much length for straight lines so I'm doing what I can with the resources available and information I have. The outdoor turned into a dry lot for another injured horse so I can't use it anymore for the time being.

4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

It's a cheaper drug that the cutters/barrel racers here were using some time back. I have heard it doesn't last as long so I wouldn't cheap out if it were me. I'd get the real thing.

SEAmom likes this.
  5. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

Interesting. She was saying it was a combo type and cost more. Huh.

6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I assume they're referring to polyglycan
    Brand Names
    • Polyglycan Injection
    • Tandem
    Description
    [​IMG]Polyglycan is a patented formulation of hyaluronic acid, sodium chondroitin sulfate, and N-acetyl-D-glucosamine in a highly viscous aqueous solution for use in horses. Glucosaminoglycans are important components of extracellular tissue structures, including cartilage and synovial fluid.

This composition of supplements is very similar to Legend and Adequan, plus Glucosamine. It is not the exact structure, since those products are patented.

If you can find Hope.... , she has info on it. I can't remember her HGS name... let me think..
    edit @LVMYQH
    LVMYQH

SEAmom likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't think you should be doing anything smaller than a 20 meter circle at this point, and not too many of those, I would count to one on those(one in each direction). You should mostly be going large around the ring and not riding into the corners at all.

That's what was advised for my friends SI horse and he was way, way less lame than your horse and he got much more time off than your horse before going back to work.

It should be months before you're spiraling in and out.

8. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

This problem with the horse has been going on for literally years. If you expect that a few injections will get a horse as lame and overall ouchy as him to trot like a healthy horse in a few weeks, that is not going to happen.

For everyone interested, see videos in other thread, current and a few years old (now white horse already had troubles when he was still grey), horse was ridden visibly off/lame for YEARS.

Give him the autumn and winter off, with treatment and physiotherapy, and then see what you have in spring.

9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Instead of injecting maybe try shockwave or acupuncture or laser for his neck? Foxy's was injected last year, vet used ultrasound to guide him where to injected. Worked some, but not completely. He at least was able to put his neck down easier, it was kind of stuck at level, and was able to pull his hay out when eating again. But, still tenses up his neck a year later. We do now always feed him on the ground. But, part of his issue was also the corn/high NSC grain he was getting that lead to his neck issues and his IR. Those others at least are not invasive and you can see if they make a difference.

Since Foxy is now 16 I suspect his neck most likely has some arthritis. So I massage it all the time, sometimes laser it and also use the vibes from my Ice Vibe boots which he actually likes the most. I should probably video tape it and share here. He also gets PEMF, but I still think he likes the Ice Vibe the best.

Rhythm 'n Blues and SEAmom like this.