To inject or not to inject?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by SEAmom, Sep 26, 2018.

1. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

So it's been a few weeks since my horse had his LS/SI injected. He's definitely improved and is certainly moving better and more comfortable. The riding rehab has been very slow going because I'm paranoid. We're currently working on spiraling at the walk.

He is off and on about bending in general (which I get) and releasing the lower neck. I do a lot of massage and trigger point before and during our sessions. Not sure how much would be neck arthritis related vs out of shape related. He's still very willing to stretch up, down, and along both sides (reached back and scratched his back leg when I was out there yesterday).

Now that I see the improvement with the hind end, would it be worth it to inject the neck to see if there's a difference up front as well? I know the arthritis can alter how the shoulders/front legs move even when he still has good flexibility in the neck. Or should I continue rehabbing the hind end?

As a side note, I have another call into the vet who treated him, but haven't been able to get any callbacks. I'm going to be contacting my local vet if he doesn't call back today.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

No. We don't inject necks, too risky if it goes wrong and with so much muscle between the needle and the spine, it is hard for even a very practiced Univ. Vet to get it right.
    I would give him MSM in his feed, do red light therapy on him, and, counter to some Vet's suggestions to NOT do it, we do flexions in a rope halter to supple him up, but you have to start slowly and build the neck muscles up. Strengthening unused muscle helps support the spinal collumn.

ginster and SEAmom like this.
  3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Have you tried an IM medication such as Adequan or Legend?

4. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

I know the situations are different, but my gelding was having major issues bending until I got a chiropractor out for him. Could be worth looking into

SEAmom likes this.
  5. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

You did the SI? Via ultrasound?

How long ago?

I'm surprised they said they want him doing lots of bending.

6. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

When the vert had called to discuss the bone scan results, he recommended injecting one or both (si vs neck) and I decided on si because it seemed like that was the more immediate/larger problem for him. Vet said that if I didn't see marked improvement with SI then he recommended injecting the neck (ultrasound guided). Either way, I'm going to discuss it with him or my local vet and I know she'll contact him and get any information, x-rays, etc she needs.

I have a difficult time bringing myself to doing any oral supplements because there just isn't enough evidence that they truly help, imo.

(It's really hard doing this on my phone)

manesntails likes this.
  7. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

Haven't done anything like that yet. It's definitely on my radar to discuss with vet. Another boarder suggested trying something called poly...... something that she uses on her horse.

8. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

He already gets regular chiro, which could be why his flexibility in the neck is so good despite the arthritis.

9. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

Injection was done 8/29 in the am. I assume via ultrasound based on the bill I received. I wasn't there, so I didn't watch it happen.

No one said lots of bending. No one said no bending. I'm not trying anything drastic, like half passes or anything. Just little bits like when he was young.

manesntails likes this.
  10. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

My SI horse was put on a 90 day fitness rehab, and we were told straight lines. Weight bearing was beneficial. Circles were not. Full turnout.

I would trust your vet... but make sure you have a plan going forward. And know that SI issues are rarely just SI issues.

ginster and SEAmom like this.