Tips on stopping biting, please?:)

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by John Carpenter, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Rocks a big pocket full of rocks and a good arm. The second that pony starts to charge growl at him and hit him I the body with a rock.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yup. I don't think you're qualified to handle him personally. You're going to get hurt. Put him in someone's hands that he won't intimidate and fast, as he's learning to get away with this.

meljean likes this.
  3. MuckMuck

MuckMuck Senior Member

Biting and aggression are two different things that sometimes show up together.

Some horses have just had it trying to work out any kind of deal with humans and sort of give up trying to reach any balance.

Best to leave that sort of training to old fellas like me that know how to go about it without getting hurt much.

Besides, we need the extra money and job security.:confused:

[​IMG]

4. slc

slc Senior Member

that's a disturbing sense of humor right there. lol.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It's disturbing only to those who don't realize there aren't any TEETH in that part of the mouth. :rolleyes:

6. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Good for him. That's a sign that you shouldn't be in that paddock in the first place.

You are aware that a horse can easily maim or kill a human. Why do the owners of that facility let unexperienced people handle dangerous horses?

His human aggression is probably the reason he ended at a sanctuary. And even with proper training to stop this he will probably never be reliably safe for everyone. If he doesn't find an owner who is willing and able to put up with that, a horse that has learned to enjoy chasing humans our of his paddock should be put down. It's just too dangerous that one day some hapless person like you going into his pasture/paddock/stall is hurt. Because he will probably stop this completely for the human who teaches him a lesson, but respect for one person will not automatically translate to respect for all humans and he will remain a potential hazard for everyone else.

I know two people who have human aggressive horses, they can handle them all right and have them on their own property where no other people will approach them.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  7. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Here you are groveling again, at least this time you aren't on the ground. I can only imagine that could be construed as a step in the right direction?

I worry about you.

A lot.

8. meljean

meljean Senior Member

No. Doing this could well result in damage to eye, as well as this is not his horse and this is a rescue....just what a horse that has ended up here needs, as well as the publicity of "well this isn't much of a rescue if they are throwing rocks at the horses" gets out.

There is a fine line between having the inner core to deal with a horse like this, and the horse will know if a person has it or not right off the bat. At this point, John doesn't have it. And him trying to up the ante, will only get him hurt, as well as gives this horse a reputation of being aggressive, if not downright dangerous. And we all know what that could mean down the line.

There are things that I could suggest, that slc, MnT, or a host of others could pull off because they have that inner core of "this far and no farther". And there are those I would never suggest those same things too.

Pro needs to handle this horse.

manesntails likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

Sorry, I don't think training this horse should be your responsibility. If someone is making it your responsibility, or you're trying to make it your responsibility...that would be wrong.

Also, don't get in the paddock with the horses. You're going to get hurt.

manesntails likes this.
  10. John Carpenter

John Carpenter Full Member

When I said "He chased me out of his paddock!" It didn't start out that way, when I went in there to hang out but then he bit my boot so I gave him a little bonk on the nose. I stayed in there a little longer even though I saw he was getting a little irritated then I decided to leave. I started to leave then I heard quickly moving hooves new it was Mickey, new what he was like and got out of there!:):):)