Tips on stopping biting, please?:)

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by John Carpenter, Dec 28, 2016.

1. John Carpenter

John Carpenter Full Member

There is anew horse at Save the Horses, I don't know what breed he is but I do know he is a pony, his name is Mickey. BUT HE HAS A BITING PROBLEM!!!!! He chased me out of his paddock!!
    He is gelded, rideable and is super adorable!! Please help us get him adopted.

2. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

Carry a whip and go after him like your life depends on it next time he even threatens you.

AmyK, 250girl, DocsLglyBlonde and 5 others like this.
  3. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

Yes, do carry a whip. Also if your hand is in good reach of his muzzle, he deserves a good smack across his nose. There is something about a good smack that will put the "oh ****" in 99.9% of horses ;)

4. Allkian

Allkian Senior Member

Agreed. This pony needs to learn respect. Carry a whip-- either a driving or dressage-- with you. If he even hints at becoming aggressive, give him a good smack. Biting is one of my no-tolerance areas. It can hurt someone. Seriously. Also, doing general ground work will help him become more respectful. Have him move those feet. He'll soon realize he can't be a bully to get his way.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  5. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I think it depends on what the trigger is, if anything. I take biting very seriously, and am assuming the horse in question does more than playful nipping.

My gelding was a biter and always will be to some extent. His stems from stall and food aggression. He would lunge and grab for food, or if someone he didn't like or someone did something he didn't like while he was in his stall. He would lunge, bite HARD, and spin and bolt. He is not a kicker, but would not hesitate to kick if you went after him for a correction immediately after him biting or attempting to bite. For this reason, I urge caution with corrections that involve going in closer to his space. A lunge whip or some extension of your arm to go after him with is ideal IMO (not saying to whip the carp out of him... you don't need to make contact to prove your point).

If you have head control, a quick punch to a fleshy area, to protect your hand, will be much kinder than what the boss mare would give, but is a quick and clear correction. For certain horses though, your punch will be too small of a threat and will escalate the horse's behavior, taken as a challenge. I made the mistake of giving a quick punch to the neck after being bitten, and Samson felt challenged, I had no head control, and he went after me more aggressively, where I had to dive out of the stall. Not fun.

I would always carry something in my hand when going in the stall or paddock. A bucket, brush, empty milk jug, etc. When horse goes to bite, hold up the object as a barrier. Milk jugs are the best, because they are big enough to block a large area, and he'll hit that and scare the carp out of himself.

Ultimately, what worked for my gelding was giving zero treats, kicking him out of the stall whenever necessary or tying in the stall, consistent corrections, and a regular work schedule. I thought his issues started shortly before I got him, at 15. I just got in contact with one of his first owners though, and it turns out he's been attacking people since he was 2 years old and has sent people to the hospital, with one needing reconstructive surgery. He is now 29, and you always need to be cautious and vigilant around him, but he hasn't bitten anyone for many years. A longtime, serious biter can be rehabilitated to some extent, but should be in a relatively closed environment (no children running around, for Sam a small barn with only a few regular people going in and out made a huge difference), and someone to continue working with them and being vigilant and hyperaware at all times IMO. I personally think that a quality diet that is low in sugars and agrees with the horse is imperative as well. There's no need to add additional fuel to the fire.

lucky_pine likes this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

And this sounds like the 1%. :)

Curly_Horse_CMT likes this.
  7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

This sounds like more than a biting problem - it sounds like an aggression problem. Whether it's fear aggression or poor manners or something else doesn't really matter.

The best thing to do is have someone who is in charge and knows what they're doing handle this horse. It takes the ability to read the horse properly, time your corrections and release the correction to do the job. Otherwise you're just chasing a horse with a whip.

A lot of horses look at a smack as an invitation to play - and play means bite. Others look at it as an invitation to fight. If you got chased out of a paddock, it doesn't sound like you have the experience to deal with it.

8. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

A horse that charges is a serious problem.
    Everytime it works (you run for your life) he gets a little more bold about it. A little more serious about it. A little harder to stop.
    You need to hold your ground or even take some back but this is something incredibly dangerous!
    I cannot emphasize that enough.
    You need to know what you are doing and be able to read a horse very very well.
    You have a split second to decide if he is going to stop or keep coming.
    Misjudge and you'll be hamburger.

Honestly, this one is best left to the pros.
    That is not meant as a put down of your skills so please don't take it harshly.
    This is just one of those vices that is so so dangerous and if dealt with wrong by someone who's never dealt with it only becomes more dangerous and difficult to correct.

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Don't fool with him. Send him to someone who knows what they are doing. That person will come into the paddock and when he comes running towards them, they'll growl and run TOWARDS that pony. If the pony CAN intimidate you, and you run off, he's got you. He's displaying fear aggression and fearful of you or not, if you show ANY fear and can't drive him off, you WILL get hurt.

Some horses have been so SPOILED by being handled by people who don't know what they are doing, that they develop fear aggression, some are just BORN that way, and the more the inexperienced fool with the horse, the worse they get. The horse already knows who's run off and who hasn't. The next time you try, he's going to be even MORE determined.

See, people without vast experience with horses should NEVER RESCUE THEM. You can't fix what you have no idea is even there.

meljean and bellalou like this.
  10. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I have to agree with Bella and Pyro. Going by your post history you'd be better of leaving this guy alone. You'll get there in time, but maybe not work this one quite yet