Tips for slowing down the busy minded horse

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by .Delete., Dec 14, 2015.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I do dressage. I would be like, yay, the horse is trying to be forward, the horse has some energy, and I'd be encouraging her to go MORE forward so that instead of just moving her legs fast or bouncing(which is not really going forward but is some kind of messed up but rescue-able forward urge), she could open up her whole body and use her hip and shoulder and back a whole lot more. Time to go gallop the horse and really get her using her whole body, like when Christoff Hess was teaching people and they thought they were going forward and they weren't. Go more.

Maybe Western Pleasure is not appropriate for her. Nothing I like better than a 'busy minded horse'.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  2. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

She is built very tight legged, so honestly the more forward she gets the choppier she gets. She is built to go slow, very flat in the knee and hock.

manesntails likes this.
  3. Teekin

Teekin Senior Member

So it may just be his conformation that will make him more of a leg mover ( sewing machine) than a horse who is loose jointed and swings You may just have to do the best you can with what he is physical capable of. He can only so as much as his conformation allows.

RG NIGHT HEIR likes this.
  4. BayMare1

BayMare1 Senior Member

Agree. You are finding the right tempo for your horse.

Riding a dressage horse too forward (ie- rushing) only creates more problems IN MY EXPERIENCE. this is why a horse in optimum tempo for that horse has a swinging back and fluid movement (for that horse and sport).

SLC seems to be of the same school as me, yes, but i have learned that forward as far as proper RESPONSE and thrust is NOT the same as "go go go FORWARD/rush". Perhaps on your typical WB this won't cause a problem since they can get more dull and as I said some horses get too sticky and need to "go large" if they are completely dead to the leg and just not getting it.

Forward is not fast but many people don't get that.

However, many more sensitive horses will lock down the more you push and drive and they need a slower and more tactful ride. Light aid, RESPOND TO THE LEG, go into the hand, get the engine going, and regulate the tempo with your seat.

uncanny580 likes this.
  5. BayMare1

BayMare1 Senior Member

"The legs can only move as fast as the brain can think. For complex movements, the horses need time to think about the precise details of footfall and weight distribution. If you force them to move their legs faster than their brain can think, they panic and resist. It is therefore better to practice new or difficult movements slowly at first, until the horse has understood how to execute the exercise. Then you can gradually ride it faster."
    (Thomas Ritter)

6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I HAD 2 busy minded mares....key word here is HAD. I have no use for a busy minded horse, that is unable to focus at the task at hand.

7. BayMare1

BayMare1 Senior Member

Leg movers are all flash, so that term doesn't fit here.

IMHO all horses should be "back movers", though the reach of the stride may not be as long as others.

Leg movers have a tense back and no coordination or harmony, I don't want to ride that horse no matter what sport or breed.

8. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

Not going to read all of these but from what I saw, there is plenty of advice. My one thing to add if no one else did is that it could be that she has bad balance at the lope. when you stand up, you hover over hr movement and she can work independently beneath you, but when you sit, you raised her center of gravity and it may make her feel anxious and like she is trying to catch you or figure out how to get under you. My gelding was like this so I only loped him up hill for a little while and not only did it make him stronger, when we got on the flat again, he was much more comfortable packing me around. Just a thought.

Teekin likes this.
  9. Squirt!!

Squirt!! Full Member

I know this is old but I’m super curious on what lines are busy minded. I want to avoid those when breeding

kodemiester likes this.
  10. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

Personally Ive heard ZCC can be funky, and tough minded. Also heard My Final Notice babies tend to be in “the middle” when it comes to having either wp or hus movement. Ive also encountered a few Blazing Hots and havent really liked them. Hot minded and not the best movers.