Tips for slowing down the busy minded horse

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by .Delete., Dec 14, 2015.

1. BayMare1

BayMare1 Senior Member

Quick legged is the same thing as fast. As I said, tight backs are a sign of being over-tempo, I would work on gentle suppleing with circles and figures using the seat to steer.
    Getting off the face, as you noticed with the draped rein, is essential.
    Horses ridden off the core are usually much more relaxed and the energy travels THROUGH the horse.
    It's really all the same thing.

2. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

On the rail itself, very little. We do a ton of bending, counter bending, redirecting, etc.

She does relax and swing, but usually when we first lope off or if I get her very over-canted she will relax and swing. But I really have to get her very canted in order to achieve that.

Today we have tail set up so I think I'm going to jog her over some poles, do the bridge, etc. We are also going to work on lateral movements.

3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Mmmm....I beg to differ. I've plenty of quick legged horses but still TRAVEL slow....but the legs are just churning more. So, I don't agree with you.

kodemiester, pippy, Teekin and 2 others like this.
  4. BayMare1

BayMare1 Senior Member

the point is the horse here is ahead of the rider, mentally and legs too fast, but overall net speed traveled may be lower. You can tell a horse that has a fast idle.

Teekin likes this.
  5. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I had a mare like that. Mine was afraid of getting onto trouble. I think she'd been over faced when she was started (if you can over face a WP horse, lol.)

Mine could do slow but ugly all day long.

I don't really have any good suggestions for you though. I gave up on mine after three trainers and thousands of dollars.

I think the problem was made worse by her breeding. Mine was out of a full sister to ZCC and Invester on top.

She was the prettiest horse I've ever had though. I think she did have natural talent just not a great mind. No meanness but just could not handle any pressure and lacked focus.

Trail riding and obstacles did not help.

What helped most was lots of consistent quiet rides and getting her really broke in the face. She was much better when she would follow her nose. When I first got her she was bendy, but her feet didn't follow. She'd about fall over when doing forehand turns. She'd get worried and forget where her feet were. She had to learn to follow a feel.

She was also the kind of horse you couldn't fight with; she'd get upset and just act the fool. She was very opinionated too.

Anyway.... just thought I'd share. I think I can guess how the mare is bred.... Good luck!

Dream27 and .Delete. like this.
  6. Teekin

Teekin Senior Member

Ahhhhhh, Quick Footed, was a term I picked from the track, many moons ago. It means temperamental, Sharp :racehrs:, they live on their toes,they can be a bit unpredictable :horseon2: and and are very alert. Like a cat in a room full of large parrots, not scared but thinking and hoping to see an opportunity to entertain themselves with a bit ( or a lot o_O ) of devilment.:devil: :p When you handle a quick-footed horse you Pay Attention, they are the ones that a breeze blows the blanket against their leg so they fire out with savage intent in less than the blink of an eye. They have a fast idle and are burning Methanol .

7. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

Today was a success! Huge difference in her today. I pulled off the spurs too to see if that would help. I walked her on a drape for a good 10 min, jogged around nice and calm. I did jog her over several poles, which she was ok with. Her lope was much more relaxed and calm. After I loped her I didn't have time to continue walking her, so I had one of the grooms get on and just walk her around for another 10 minutes.

Yay for progress!!

8. BayMare1

BayMare1 Senior Member

yes, I own one of these. I get it. believe me. I get it.

9. Teekin

Teekin Senior Member

Ahhhhh, Ok. I sometimes use obscure cliquish colloquialisms when I talk. I thought perhaps my use of "quick footed" was another case of me expecting other people to understand a local slang. It isn't your grasp of the concept that I was calling into question, it was perhaps my choice of words which can certainly be inaccurate , unfortunate or slang. Sometimes I just don't say what I mean to. My bad. :oops:

10. Teekin

Teekin Senior Member

Delete, you seem to have found one of the keys. :idea: :tiphat: Kick on woman.:charge:

.Delete. likes this.