1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Tips for riding alone...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Caterina, Mar 15, 2009.

1. SaddleCutie

SaddleCutie Senior Member

Echoing everyone on the helmet of course. Cell phone on silent or vibrate with you as well. Make sure someone knows you are riding and when you left as well as an estimation of how long you'll be at the barn, that way they'll know something's up if you go past your usual time. If your horse is spooky or fresh, let him loose for a run in the indoor arena or lunge him until he's calm and not skittish. Don't take risky chances or try a higher jump than you're used to! Stick with what you know and are comfortable with, if you're nervous.

Really, it should be treated as you hopefully would any ride. Riding a horse you always have to have your wits about you and be ready for the unexpected... even something as simple as a barn cat skittering out in front of you before a jump. Look around--be aware of what might set off your horse, for example the weather. Just being conscious of your horse's state and everything around you really helps.

And on top of all that- try to relax! Your horse picks up on when you're nervous. If you're not used to riding on your own, at first the thought can be intimidating, but you'll see with time that common sense and basic safety is key.

Happy riding! :)

2. miffy777

miffy777 Senior Member

i constantly ride on my own. tell someone when you think you'll be finished, dont do anything that you are nervous about, dont have pointy things in your joddies!

3. Caterina

Caterina Senior Member

oh i so want to make a comment..... lol.... but Ill refrain LOL as it is the open forum

4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Some people have a "dog tag" on the horse's bridle or saddle with a phone number should the horse get separated from its rider. Also, be sure to program an emergency contact number into your phone (actually call it emergency contact in the phonebook on the phone) in case you fall off, the horse disappears, and you are unable to call for help yourself, should someone find you. This is a good thing to do anyway.

MissBandit likes this.
  5. Tymacs Girl

Tymacs Girl Senior Member+

Couldn't agree more! I always have my phone on me if I'm riding on my own.

6. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

Be a good/confident rider. If you are a nervous person or unsure of yourself and your horse, dont go out alone.
    I have rode by myself for years out in the woods with no problems with just me and my dogs. Now I do carry a cell phone and gun. To carry a gun concelled you need to have a CPL(concelled pistol license)
    Always let someone know where you will be riding and when you will be back.

7. horsesare1

horsesare1 Senior Member+

We had a few rules for riding alone at one of my old barns I boarded at.

1. Tell at least 2 people that you are going to be riding alone.

2. Tell them WHERE you are going WHAT direction and WHEN you should return.

3. Draw a rough map of your course

4. Take a cell phone and carry it ON YOU
    5. Take a DIME......if that is what fits your tack to tighten reins if necessary.

6. Take a lead rope... you never know when you may need it.

7. Water bottle

8. Energy bar

9. Lighter

10. Light jacket or some sort of extra clothing in the event you DO get lost, separated from your horse, etc.

You can never be too safe. It may sound overboard, and maybe it is, I used to ride alone all the time and I don't anymore. I heard about way too many accidents of EXPERIENCED riders to take the chance.

So please... be SAFE!!!!!

Oh... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not take a horse you don't 100% trust with your life alone. Take a friend with green horses or horses you dont' know that well.

8. myspookypony

myspookypony Senior Member+

My parents know I go on trails and jump the small cross country alone. I always have my cell phone. I let my my parents know, so they know where'd I'd be if I wasn't there when they came to pick me up or if I'm past my usual 'call' time. Wear a helmet.

I have this emercency alarm. My horse would probably spook slightly, I've never had to use it. If you plan to ride alone, and your horse is fairly docile, it may be worth getting. As bad as it sounds, if my leg is broken, I'm pulling that.

9. Mustangemoon09

Mustangemoon09 Senior Member

I find it kinda scary how everyone assumes everyone else has a cellphone. Look what we have become!!:eek: lol

But seriosuly if you don't have a cell, get a cheap disposable one jsut fort aht purpose. If you don't use/have halfchaps or a holder the front of your bra can work pretty darn well.:wink: Looks kinda weird when your trying to grab it though.

Also make sure you have a helmet on your head AND buckled up. Make sure your horse is going to be a good kid and not give you a tantrum. Of and you HAVE to have fun! Seriously if you don't have fun your horse will know... They'll know i say!!!:p

10. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

While riding alone is pretty much not smiled at at our barn, I can see where there may be situations where one might want or even need to just to get some riding in. My list of preparations would include:

• Safety gear including helmet--while you may not like wearing them, if you are alone it could be a life saver
    • Water and a snack if you are out on the trail. Consider a rain coat, too
    • Fully charged phone (turned on) on your person where you can easily reach it with either hand if you fall and injure one or more limbs (on silent ring as suggested) and "on" is important as it can be a valuable locater if you are knocked out.
    • Notifying someone reliable of your intentions including where you will be (start and end point for trails if that applies), your starting time and your expected time back and your contact number while out riding. It would be a good idea to contact them when you complete your ride so they know you are safe