Tips for proffessionaly cleaning tack?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Sarah J, Feb 7, 2019.

1. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I've found the Fiebings glycerin bar to be good. Simple and not expensive.

2. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for the spam - you could also consider offering a group discount for 5 or more (or 10 or more or whatever) at the same location. That would incentivize boarders to gather more customers for you. You could also offer 4H, FFA, etc discounts. I know when I was young we patronized the tack stores that did that because having kids in horses/livestock is expensive!

Sarah J and Larkspade like this.
  3. Sarah J

Sarah J Registered

Spam is welcomed! I love feedback and need as much advice as possible. You have some great ideas, I will definitely be making a contract or something about items being damaged, etc. And I would be willing to do discounts and things for 4H, FFA, etc. If i do create a business i will offer on-site cleaning and also tack shipping to be cleaned. My goal would be to have tack cleaned within atleast a week time limit, depending on what treatment the tack would need. I want to create this business to help people out, make things easier on them with a service that is affordable. I love making other's lives easier.

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'd be certain to take photos of equipment when you received it on something that dates the photo so you can prove the condition it was received in for your protection. I don't know if most cell phone photos date them, but if they do, that'd work. Always photograph any damage on receipt of equipment and highlight that. Always expect someone to either forget/not see damage or to try and pull something. It happens.

ChestersMomma likes this.
  5. Sarah J

Sarah J Registered

Yes that was my first thought. Always photograph the condition items were received in, and leave in before being transported if that's the case.

6. stardozer

stardozer Senior Member+

Sterling Essentials

7. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I think in order to do anything professionally you need some sort of education on the subject at hand.

So when it comes to tack cleaning you really need to know what type of leathers you're working with and which dressings/conditioners and cleaners will preserve clean and improve those leathers vs destroying them.

You probably also want to educate yourself in deep cleaning, so basic repair work, dismantling and reassembly.

mooselady likes this.
  8. Sarah J

Sarah J Registered

Yes, of course. I'm not a professional and wouldn't advertise as such. But I would love to learn all about the different leathers and what cleaners would suit them. My issue is that I'm not sure if I could remember everything like that, I have bad memory. But I would be willing to try. My trainer repairs tack and makes his own so maybe I could get some pointers from him, but he's a busy man and has a short attention span so I don't know how that would work out. I am just looking to clean the tack, but I would like to learn how to repair little things. Not big things like taking a saddle apart or anything. I'm not sure how I would go about learning how to deep clean, though.

9. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

The title of your thread is literally about professionally cleaning tack.

I assumed you wanted advice of that nature.

mooselady likes this.