Tips for proffessionaly cleaning tack?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Sarah J, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Sarah J

Sarah J Registered

I'm looking to start my own tack cleaning business, I'd love some tips and advice. I know how to clean tack well, I clean show tack etc. for my trainer and barn. Extra knowledge is always good though, so I'm looking for input. I can clean Halters, Leads, Bridles, Saddles, Girths, Harnesses, Driving Carts, Saddle pads, Blankets, Boots, and grooming equipment.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

It might be helpful to list how you currently do it, and what products you use....

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Registered

Currently to clean the leather I've been using Absorbine horsemen's one step cream leather cleaner and conditioner, and Fieben's Golden Mink oil leather preserver. I have read on here that the one step isn't good to use but I've had good results with it. First I wipe down the leather with a cloth to get rid of the dust/dirt if it is mildly dirty, taking everything apart. Then I'll use a small sponge with the one step and wipe down every part of the tack, inside the creases, etc. Once it's dry, I'll go over the leather with the mink oil and let it soak in. It is a little tacky but dries well. I wipe down the silver or brass with a cloth, then I'll use a polisher and buff until shiny. For girths and browbands that are vinyl, I wipe down with alchohol and then wash off with a damp rag, then dry.

4. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

Personally I wouldn’t pay anyone to clean my tack, but people who have a lot or run a school program might.

I also wouldn’t like anyone to clean my leather with One Step, it has petroleum and alcohol in it.

tlwidener and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Are you oiling anything? Nearly every piece of take I see (saddle fitter, so I see a lot & not just saddles) needs to be oiled.......

And I’m with funky. I would t pay anyone to clean my tack, and horseman’s 1 step isn’t allowed with 50’ of any of my tack.

funkybizniz likes this.
  6. Sarah J

Sarah J Registered

I've posted about it in a fb group, and it was 50/50 people telling me to start one and others telling me not to. I'm not good at alot of other things, so I'm trying to take off with something I am good at. I've had one person tell me they would send their tack to get cleaned, so I think why not? And I use mink oil, what do you all recommend?

7. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

I really like MOSS saddle soap. It is glycerin-based and not slimy or sticky. It does have glycol distearate in it but this is often used in moisturizers for human skin and is a mold repellent. It smells amazing and comes with it's own sponge.
    I also love Bates Leather Balsam for conditioning. I usually apply it and leave it on overnight and then wipe it off in the morning.

8. Sarah J

Sarah J Registered

I just bought some fiebings. Does that work okay? I'd be willing to buy the MOSS if not, read some reviews and everyone seems to love it and the smell. Will probably buy it anyways.. I also am interested to know about Lexol leather cleaners and conditioners and if they work.

9. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

Fiebings is fine, a lot of people use it because it’s cheap and effective. I find the MOSS to be less slimy, and it smells better. Lexol is too oily for me, I would only use on leather that needs serious conditioning.

10. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I would pay to have mine cleaned well and oiled once a year. One thing to think about is whether you will pickup or have the tack brought to you. What is your turnaround time? Will you have a guarantee that if anything is damaged, it will be replaced? You may want to come up with a form where people list what they are giving you, the approximate value of each thing, and the services they want done to it.

Cynical25, Bebe and mooselady like this.