tips for keeping shoulders back while riding?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by MidniteRenegade, Jun 2, 2007.

1. MidniteRenegade

MidniteRenegade Full Member

so, my trainer's always told me that my one equitation fault is that i never have my shoulders back. and i've never really been able to do it. i find it uncomfortable to keep them back, so when i do&stop paying attention to that (to pay attention to the horse), they always go forward. i've seen a "shoulders back" thing in a magazine that's supposed to help with it, but it's 50$ and i wouldn't use it in shows. is there any other way to get over the habit of not keeping my shoulders back?

thanks in advance!

2. JumpsxGlory

JumpsxGlory Senior Member+

You don't want them so far back that it's uncomfortable for you to keep them there. If that's how it is for you then you probably have them too far back. Just think, and keep thinking CHEST OUT, SHOULDERS BACK. Ridings all about multi tasking and checking and making sure your form and everything is correct. While you're riding do a check list in your head for both you and your horse. :)

3. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

Try riding for a few minutes with a crop tucked through your elbows and behind your back :)

(did that make sense?)

4. roxyroller91

roxyroller91 Senior Member+

ok here is what my trainer says
    AMY STICK UR B.OOBS OUT!! DONT U WANT GUUYS TO LOOK haha it cracks me up

5. JumpsxGlory

JumpsxGlory Senior Member+

Ha, that's pretty much it lol

6. Dressage Princess

Dressage Princess Senior Member+

Make sure your elbows are by your sides and bent, and keep your chin up! Works every time for me.

7. phorelockless

phorelockless Senior Member+

Instead of thinking to keep them back, try thinking to keep your collar bones up - like theres a string attached to them from the sky, like a puppet. Bringing shoulders back often causes your back to arch, and that makes it much more uncomfortable.

8. HorseGurly143

HorseGurly143 Senior Member+

My instructor always said to imagine your chest as headlights, stick em out! Be proud and keep your back strait. It isn't keeping shoulders back as much, just to keep them parallel if that makes sense. When all else fails, tie a 2x4 to your back and use that to keep strait!

9. MidniteRenegade

MidniteRenegade Full Member

thanks guys. hah, i've had my trainer tell me about putting the crop like that behind my back, so i know what you mean. except she said something like she was going to make me go through school like that...haha. and my trainer says the same thing ("stick your ***** out!!"), except she likes to save it for busy show days when we're schooling, and yelling it in front of everyone. ;)

10. Oh'When

Oh'When Senior Member+

This is helpful for me to ... I tend to hunch over...