Tips for hot toweling

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by draftmare, Feb 8, 2019.

1. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

I have a show the first weekend of March, and I am sure that I won't have access to the wash rack by then (used to store hay in the winter), or that it will even be warm enough to do a full body bath anyway.

I looked up hot toweling, and purchased an electric kettle off of Amazon to have hot water at the barn. I also bought a waterless whitening shampoo for her really white areas. My question is, should I attack her with the waterless shampoo first and then hot towel her, or hot towel, then attack her with the waterless shampoo. I also read about a couple of people who added either oils or something like Healthy Hair Care to the water. I have and love Healthy Hair Care, but is that going to be overkill with the waterless shampoo?

I don't have a vacuum either, so just plan to curry her and brush her as best I can before doing the hot towel treatment. Her body is under a blanket, but with all the mud this winter and then her randomly coming into heat in December her legs are disgusting.

2. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I think I’d use the shampoo first, and then hot towel to finish it off. Not an easy job with no heat and winter.

NBChoice likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You can bathe her if you buy a bucket heater for heating a 5 gal. bucket of water and do it out of the wind, then scrape, towel dry the face and legs, and throw a couple wool coolers over her.

We bathe racehorses in winter. Can't leave all that sweat and dirt on them.

4. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

If you can’t bathe miracle groom bath in a bottle is amazing. You spray it on to dampen their coat and then scrub it out. You’ll go through lots of towels as once one area gets dirty swap to a clean area of towel. This gets them pretty clean fast.

5. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I have grown to love hot towelling. I have bathed in winter using hot buckets of water, scraping, and layering blankets, but hot towelling has been quicker, easier, and with great results for me. My mare also gets disgusting legs though, and I do a full wash on them. There's no need to worry about legs getting cold, so I scrub and rinse (with warm water for better stain removal) legs up as far as I feel I can go, as those are usually the dirtiest parts anyways.

Hot towelling, I use as hot of water as I can stand to use with dishwashing gloves on. I really like a small amount of coconut or other similar oil in there (maybe 2 tablespoons in a 3 gallon bucket). I thoroughly groom first, so the hot towel is just like the icing on the cake. If I groom and still cannot get stains out, I leave a leave in stain remover on for several minutes then start my towelling. If they are still really dirty, it's a good idea to have a couple buckets in case your first starts getting really grungy, and depending on how quickly you work, you may need to add some hot water to keep things hot. You want to wring out the cloth (I use a face cloth size towel) as much as you possibly can, then go in circular motions like currying. I do each side of the neck, cover with a cooler, then work my way back, covering as I go. You should be wringing the towel out enough that the horse is not very damp looking at all after you go over an area.

Let them sit in the cooler a short while until they're nice and dry, then go over with a clean finishing brush. Hot towelling saves me a ton of time and frustration with my mare's nearly white mane all winter (along with her light coat color).

mooselady, draftmare and Larkspade like this.
  6. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

Thanks for the info!