Tips For Buying and Selling Horses Online and more (!!!!!!!!! PLEASE READ !!!!!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Horse Classifieds' started by Moostang, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyJoy

HappyJoy Senior Member+

Excellent, a sticky on the subject!! Hopefully no one will have to go through what Shell and the rest of us had to deal with. Thank you very much mods.

1 person likes this.
  2. momof5

momof5 Senior Member+

Yes thank you for this thread.Very good informative thread.I will only buy from people I have seen here on HGS for a while.I just bought some stuff from CF.I totaly trust her and a whole bunch of others here but.I would only buy from HGS regulars that have been here for quite awhile.

3. LotsOfSavvy

LotsOfSavvy Senior Member+

I had never heard of asking for these things before I came across a post on a cycling board about people being scammed for high dollar bikes i.e. I'll buy your bike for 1000.00 no problem. Can I make the cashiers check out for 1250.00. When you cash the check can you ship the bike to me in (name country/state). Deposit check...money is released...item sent...check is bad...cost 1250.00 to get rid of bike etc.

Never thought much about it again until my friend told me she was selling her car in the AutoTrader. Someone called up claiming to be from a movie company. Said they were going to use her convertible in a movie. No attempt to negotiate on the price...wanted to send a cashiers check for 1500.00 over the amount which she was to pay the person/shipping company who would pick up the car. She thought it was a great deal and told the person no problem. She told me about it... I told her about the bikes...she told the person she would release the car as soon as the cashiers check cleared the bank which would take a couple of weeks...Person never called back.

4. shell

shell Senior Member+

More info!!!

This is the phone number for the Postal Inspection Service for mail fraud.

24 hour hot line is:

800-300-3492

2 people like this.
  5. AutumnAttic

AutumnAttic Senior Member+

Very good idea to put this thread up. I have had a few people contact me through email, about seeing my saddle on this website, but I knew they were not serious. Thanks so much for posting!

6. paint_gurl_101

paint_gurl_101 Banned

good post moostang, it canhelp keep people from getting ripped off.

nikki

7. shell

shell Senior Member+

Well, no money order, as was promised. So I put in the call to the inspector and they are sending me a from to send in. What a pain! But I am doing everything I have to in order to stop this person from doing it again.

8. Moostang

Moostang Senior Member+

Thanks to HeavenlyJumper idea, we just added links calculating shipping costs for 3 of the major shippers to the bottom of the original post on this sticky.

1 person likes this.
  9. Lady barth

Lady barth Senior Member+

Interesting. I bought some items from a regular member here about 3 1/2 months ago. I never got the item (claimed she lost it) and asked for a refund. She already cashed the Postal Money order that I sent and said she would mail me a check. I have asked repeatedly, but never have gotten my money back. She always has multiple excuses. I have all the PM's still. This means I can bring her up on charges of mail fraud?

10. ivyschex

ivyschex Senior Member

When trying to sell a horse, use "action" shots of your horse. If it is ridable, have a picture of you loping or cantering or jumping it. Anything that looks exciting (not bucking :wink:). This works really well.

A picture is worth a thousand words!:D

swilliams8251 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.