Times when you go WHAT? confession of a cheapskate.......

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by mooselady, Feb 20, 2017.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

After our ride on Saturday I was hanging about in the arena with Fergie, watching someone using a gel pressure pad to check their saddle fit...so going to borrow that soon.

I was leaning against the rails, when the star teenager came through with her saddle, and starts cleaning it. I'm chatting and Fergie is looking at, kind of sniffing the saddle, not touching, not being rude just close. Star teenager then says, "do you like my new saddle?" Well had to admit I do like the look of it...then the shocker, "I have to clean it everytime I use it, its a $6500 saddle"

Fergie and I very quickly moved several steps back from this expensive thing of beauty.......my horse and saddle combined only cost a third of that :rofl:

She is a great kid, and her mum works so hard to keep her and her horse in the style they have been accustomed to, but I do wonder if she NEEDS that price of a saddle. LOL, I just would be scared to leave it in the tack room, I wouldn't carry it to the arena to clean, I'm not sure I would even ride in it...I would just clean it and admire it in the safety of my front room.

Then I get to wondering what is there in that English Jumping saddle that actually warrants that price tag? Are the materials that expensive, is the length of time taken to craft it worth that many man hours? Show me highly tooled, blinged out western saddle and I can appreciate more the cost...

Yeah I know, ramblings of a cheapskate....

2. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

6500?! I'm with you on this one :eek:

3. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

My jump saddle cost $6k new. I didn't buy it new, but it's not that hard a number to hit with any high end brand purchasing a new saddle. My saddle has a carbon fiber tree and is made by hand in Virginia (Tad Coffin) Good materials and workmanship cost money. So does sponsoring riders, paying reps, sending booths to shows, and all sorts of other myriad marketing etc. In my case I'm paying for the fact they only produce about 300 saddles a year.

My horse was $1300, if it matters. It's my personal opinion that life and a riding career are too short to ride in something you don't really like just because it was cheap. I'm picky about saddles.

4. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

I really haven't figured out why quality English tack is more than quality western tack.

I do know today English saddles are a pain to fix if you don't have the proper tools. And you basically have to strip the saddle completely just to fix it.
    My boss refuses to work on them unless its something really basic. I kept asking him why. He pulled out an old junk English saddle and told me to fix it. The tree was twisted and it was low quality, so it didn't matter if I completely ruined it.

Never. Again.

I can tell you that English saddles don't appreciate a hammer and flathead screwdriver being turned loose on them though. :whistle:

ChestersMomma and mooselady like this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yeah, I have a hard time with a kid but I do understand. There are reasons for good saddles. But as Friesiangirl just had hers destroyed, it's kind of difficult justifying that much money. I think if you've tons of money it's relative, but the majority can't consider that kind of money and in reality there's no need considering their riding ability. A used great saddle would suffice.

She's a kid. Probably doesn't realize it's kind of obnoxious.;)

BroadaxJuniorMint likes this.
  6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

One of/ my favorite story is at the barn the time some savant trainer shot off the considered opinion "There are no $10,000 warmbloods." And I piped "I thought you were going to say $2,000 and I was going to have to set you straight."
    He was :eek: floored. "WHO has a $2000 warmblood?!?"
    I do/ (did). At the time I had to admit Rap didnt have papers, which he didnt get til he was 10, and that made All the difference to the 'trainer'. I guess after there were papers in hand , then he was a 10k warmblood? Dunno, didnt matter, didnt care. :loveflag:

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I want a vacuum cleaner.
    A new one.
    I want a Dyson.
    I want it yesterday.

Who wants to buy me one?
    Has to be the new cordless V8 model.
    Nothing else will do.

So, I will continue to sweep the carpet with a broom until I get one.:LOL:

8. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Pony was $25, his current saddle was $70.

Still in the game for under a hundred! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

9. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I hate to tell you, but quality western tack is NOT any cheaper than English tack, lol. Take it from someone that knows, and had to outfit two daughters, in both western and English tack.

10. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Wow - and I thought my dream saddle at $3500 is crazy!!! But I don't have a horse so I can't justify it. LOL

Alsosusieq2 likes this.