"Tiamo!"

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by slc, Dec 29, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I just love this horse, Tiamo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's a big, sturdy guy.

He was the first 'big time' horse for young rider Jorinde Verwimp, a Belgian dressage rider.

This morning I watched the dressage competition in Mechelen, Belgium, and that competition was also Tiamo's retirement ceremony.

There were signs all over the arena saying, "Thank You Tiamo" in different languages.

The funniest part was of course, there are photographers and you're supposed to hold a huge boquet of flowers wrapped in crinkly paper and get your picture taken.

And here's what the dialog looked like:

"Here's your big boquet of flowers."

"No." (Tiamo spins around)

"Is he ok now?"

"No."

"Okay....is he okay now?"

"No."

"How about if I pet him a little and then hand you the flowers?"

"No. It's a very bad idea." (Tiamo is staring at the flowers as if they are going to eat him)

"How about the trophy?"

"No."

"How about you LEAN DOWN and just put your hand on it, and I'LL hold it down here, and you just smile a lot?"

"That might work."

Tiamo: "You said there wouldn't be flowers!"

What a wonderful horse.

What a wonderful rider, too.

She retired Tiamo because he was having trouble on and off with his back.

It appeared that the team captain was insisting she compete anyway.

So she resigned the team.

She said her horse was more important.

Jorinde Verwimp's Tiamo Retired from Sport

Here's an interview with Tiamo. Yes, Manesandtails, TIAMO SPEAKS.

Do you enjoy being around other horses or animals or would you rather stick to humans ? Who are your favorite friends and why ?

I like some horses, I have a girlfriend Donna. She always stands next to me in the field and I just love her. For the rest I prefer people, but not to many. My rider and groom are good and the other girls from the stable are pretty sweet to. But please no man to close to me. Don’t like them so much.

Portrait of TIAMO, a 16 years old talking horse | Dressage International

This is Tiamo's friend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    doublelranch, ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

And....

[​IMG]

doublelranch, Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Pretty,....

But breaks at the wrong vertebrae.

ginster, Mcdreamer and GotaDunQH like this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

You just have to do it, don't you. LOL. The horse is piaffing beautifully, his hind legs are in a beautiful position, it's perfectly diagonal, the position of the head and neck is ALMOST perfect, he's schooling at home, not competing, but it's not good enough for you. And you've never taught a horse to do this work, or any of the work leading up to it, but you can pick this young rider apart, on the day her horse retires.

For you the horse has to be perfect every second. Even in schooling. I'm glad you don't do anything with my horses!

You don't understand the terminology or dressage in general.

For others who want to learn, he's not actually 'breaking his neck.' He's round. Look at the muscle of the neck. He drops behind the vertical, momentarily, in the piaffe picture. In general, he's rather good in this area. But remember, even a '10' score does not mean 'perfect.' It means 'really great.' Not perfect.

His poll is still the highest point, look at the muscle of his neck, not the fat and the mane. We do very often see some variation during the piaffe steps - a horse often will drop behind the vertical momentarily, lower his head a bit too much, lose balance and rhythm for a few steps. The judge has a tough task, to consider all the steps of the piaffe performed in the test. And of course, when we look at horses, we have to not expect them all to look perfect every second. This is a very good image in many ways, but it's a rare photo that's going to be perfect in all ways.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

LOL....did you really say that Manes??? I'm going to enjoy watching this thread now! Anyway, I don't find him particularly attractive but he is/was a big deal in his "circle". I LOVE his little traveling buddy.

Sam C., manesntails and CabterCrazy like this.
  6. manesntails

Yup, facts are facts~!!

GotaDunQH likes this.
  7. manesntails

He's WAY over bent, and his nose is far, far behind the vertical. Looks yucky~!!

GotaDunQH likes this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

And because everyone in most European countries under 16 must ride a pony, here's the owner of Tiamo on a pony! I think she was about 15 here. Long legs and all!

9. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I know you claim that Dressage is your schtick.....but I find the long flapping legs and downward pointed toes very distracting. It doesn't make for a pretty picture of "harmony" between horses and rider.

kodemiester and manesntails like this.
  10. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Does every thread have to turn into a fight? Discipline bashing gets old. I'm not at all a dressage person and he isn't at all the type of horse I'm into, but he's a very lovely horse all the same and it seems his owner is doing right by him.

Saph, OldGreyMare, Sam C. and 2 others like this.