Thrush help

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Wild at Heart, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Wild at Heart

Wild at Heart Registered

Hey everyone

So I'm going to be getting a mare on Monday and she has a bit of thrush. I've never had to deal with thrush before and this case isn't bad, but I'm just wondering what you guys think is the best way to go about treating it? She's not lame and the lady I'm getting her from recently got her feet done in the last day or two (as in farrier work), so that part is already covered. I'm not sure if that's important or not with this. But ya, so I'd appreciate any tips and advice you guys may have about dealing with thrush.

Pic is of the mare I'm getting which was taken by the lady I'm getting her from.

[​IMG]

2. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

I use Thrush Buster (purple) and follow the directions. Works for me.

JStorry and Wild at Heart like this.
  3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I second Thrush Buster.

How old is she? Not sure if she has them super wide apart or her right hind foot is much bigger than the rest of her legs. Almost looks photoshopped. And the front left looks bowed?

Congrats too. Looks like she is going to an owner that cares about her health.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

It appears she's standing with both front legs together and the left front food slightly further back, making one leg appear bowed because her legs are dark in color. It's not possible to determine from the photo whether she has a bow in front or not. The photo is just a little too dark around the legs.

As for one hind foot seeming bigger than the other, it might be because the right hind hoof and ankle are light colored and the other hind foot may blend into the footing a little.

It is possible for a horse to have one foot larger than its mate, for sure. After I sold one horse the owner had a different farrier. Within a year, each of his four feet looked like they belonged to very different type of horses.

5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I did blow it up for the front leg to see better. Blowing it up also made the back legs look not quite as different from each other. Can see the other hoof toeing out so makes it look more even.

And my question mark means I am asking if it is bowed. Assume the OP would know if it is or not.

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 1.05.48 AM.png

ginster likes this.
  6. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Farrier care is very important with dealing with thrush. It removes dead layers of sole and frog that thrush loves to grow in. It also enables the hoof to shed debri naturally, and the hoof receives more air which thrush doesn't like.
    I agree with Thrush Buster, and for stubborn thrush, White Lightning. I love her soft expression! She looks like a sweetheart.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  7. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Thrush buster for sure.

8. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

Listen to what other members told you about the topical treatments for treating thrush. Then have your horses feet trimmed buy a proper farrier who knows how to open up the heels which spreads out the central sulcus. When this is done the central sulcus will not have a deep groove but just a dimple and no thrush will occur. I have owned many horses for close to 60 years, trained for the public and have not had one case of thrush or an abscess for that matter.

9. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Thrush buster is excellent for preventative and mild cases. Tomorrow mastitis cream for cattle for sever cases. In all cases proper farrier care is vital