Thoughts on Art 2 Ride

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by funkybizniz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

what are your thoughts on Art 2 Ride?
    I know what I think but I’m curious about the thoughts of others...

2. slc

slc Senior Member

I am not a fan.

3. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

Do you want to elaborate?

4. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

@funkybizniz , why don’t you tell us what you think, and/or explain exactly what it is?

5. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

No thanks. They've taken a solid idea (stretching into contact), and gone too far. It's all about having the horse's nose in the dirt under the guise of building strength in the back. You can't build strength by staying in one position. Stretching is great and is necessary, but it seems to be the only thing they do.
    I watched one of their YouTube videos a while ago(advertising, so presumably horses and riders he was proud of), the whole time he's taking about relaxation and suppleness you see video of horses without rhythm, lack of impulsion, and tight expressions. Not what I'm looking for in a dressage horse.

walktrot, slc and funkybizniz like this.
  6. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

After western pleasure is finally starting to get rid of peanut rolling, some dressage folks have taken up that nonsense....

Encouraging the horse to stretch long and low INTO CONTACT is a very valuable exercise. As an exercise, not as a permanent position, because, unless when they are eating, nose so close to the ground is not a natural position. Natural is how the horse would carry it's head when trotting or cantering around calmly without a rider.

None of the horses in that video has proper contact.

slc and funkybizniz like this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

It's the most messed up fake dressage I've seen in a very, very long time. It's so bad it makes me physically ill. It's awful.

8. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Plus, all the horses need constant pestering with the reins/bit to stay in that extreme position. If the position is natural and comfortable, you can easily convince the horse to stay there willingly.

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Not caught this, looks like one that's definitely a pass though.

10. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

Strongly agree. I do thing that some of the horses are forward but the relaxation is forced and the rhythm is off.

One of my biggest critiques is that they’ve created this idea of an internet training, like everyone can train a horse if they just do this. Every horse is different and it’s definitely untrue that everyone is suitable to train a horse. They also really play off criticism of “modern dressage” and saying that if you can’t compete with the international riders, it’s just because they’re doing something wrong, and you’re in the moral right.