Thoughts - Guyana Lame

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Sempiternal, Sep 23, 2016.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

She's stabbing with both hind hooves, she's stretching DOWN going to the left so that puts all her weight on the front end, alleviating and taking weight off the hind end. I'd say stifles, back and pelvis.

2. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Yeah before I read other posts I was thinking RH also. She is bringing her head up in the limp and it gets better the other direction. And having scraped herself up makes it even more suspect. Hope she gets better soon! Let us know what you find out.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

Have you got any videos from before this that show her when she was sound?

4. Sempiternal

Sempiternal Senior Member

Not a whole lot of real good ones.

This was from March of this year when she was still at the place I was doing self care at:

This is from a mini event in August:

My other videos aren't the greatest. The camera person (aka my mother) had a hard time keeping us in the shot or she's galloping around like a crazy red head.

5. Sempiternal

Had vet out towards the end of last week. She flexed at about a 2 on the RH (0 on the LH). Vet thinks it's some minor soft tissue injury due to trauma (more than likely whatever she's been doing to her back legs). I'm guessing any back soreness may be from her being in heat as she can get very cold backed during her cycles.

She didn't think there were any issues with joints (no heat, swelling, fluid etc.). Two weeks off and reassess at that time.

(From Sunday)

VermilionStrife likes this.
  6. Sempiternal

From Thursday

7. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Better but still not quite right. Maybe a bit stabby on the back.

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I'd say she's moving much better than the original video!

Glad she's doing better :)

9. Sempiternal

I have an order of UlcerGard on the way and have a partial batch of my homemade version of Equishure I need to bag up for the BO to feed. She's started showing a few of the symptoms she had when she was ulcer-y the last time.

Could some of the residual stabbiness in the hind end be discomfort from ulcers?

10. Sempiternal

Just wanted to post an update.
    Four, yes four, lameness exams later I finally have an answer for the NQR stuff I've been seeing/feeling and what probably contributed to the stifle (and hock) issues others saw.

G is about 1 - 1 1/2in lower on one side of her pelvis than the other, which led to the SI injections (ultrasound guided), OsPhos and B12 injections down her back that she got today.

During the ultrasound for the SI injection my vet noticed some signs of past trauma that probably point to some osteoarthritis in that area. She feels that this could definitely be from Guyana's racing career, particularly her starting gate training. She also noticed while giving the Vitamin B12 injections into her topline, that the last couple injections on each side (nearest her loin area) went in harder and the tissue in general was tougher. Not necessarily scar tissue. She mentioned something about this sometimes being cause when a foal/youngster is in the but high stage for a long(er) period of time and it putting strain on that part of the back.

She's optimistic that the SI injection is going to help a lot, as well as the OsPhos. Her only worry is some of the secondary issues brought on by this. Specifically, mild joint capsule pain in both hocks and both stifles.

Other secondary issues could include kissing spine (did not do x-rays since they don't really have the set-up to do images of the spine) and either thickening of the left hind pastern or possible mild ringbone (did not image today as my bank account is already crying, but is on the list to be done). The left hind pastern currently does not flex positive at this time. The pelvis/SI issue is also probably contributing to the high/low issues with the front hooves.

She should be back into full work within the next week. SI injections and B12 injections should start "helping" in two weeks and the OsPhos in about four weeks. If not, the hocks/stifles are next (or the winter off and then re-evaluate). :faint:

tlwidener and VermilionStrife like this.