Thoroughbred broodmare prospect

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by mehile, Jan 30, 2019.

1. mehile

mehile Senior Member

We lost our tb broodmare recently due to foaling complications. I'm not in a rush to replace her as I'm more focused on her 16' colt right now but I came across this lady and on paper she checks a lot of boxes. What do you all think of her conformation?
    Looks to me like she toes out.
    KIMG1557.jpg KIMG1553.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You need to get some better photos. Her hooves are hidden in snow~!! She isn't standing square either.
    The only thing I can say for pretty certain is that she looks sickle hocked and her hip is much smaller in proportion to her shoilder which makes her imbalanced,...BUT, that may not be so because the photos are not taken correctly for a critique.

3. mehile

mehile Senior Member

Yeah they really aren't good pics, I've asked for more but she's up in new York in all that snow and cold so I'm guessing it'll be a few days before that happens.

4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Need better photos but at first glance I really like her!

5. Squirt!!

Squirt!! Full Member

What’s the plan for the foal ? Conformation that’s acceptable in one discipline may be a hinderance for another.

6. Squirt!!

Squirt!! Full Member

Photos are not ideal.

However, from what I can see.

She’s weak thru the stifle and gaskin. Likely weak back. I prefer a bigger, longer hip. Straight in the hocks.

7. mehile

mehile Senior Member

Got a few new pictures of her, still not great critiquing pictures as her hind end is away from the camera in both again. She would be used as a race broodmare. She's an allowance winner of almost $140k with 2 foals one of which will start this year. She's a 12hr drive away, wanted to have a few extra sets of eyes look her over before I made the drive and saw something I didn't notice in the pictures.

KIMG1856.jpg KIMG1859.jpg KIMG1858.jpg KIMG1860.jpg

8. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Is this for a broodmare only? I would really check out her RF hoof as it looks pretty bad. Maybe it's from a previous injury and hopefully not a genetic weakness.

9. mehile

mehile Senior Member

Yes she would be broodmare only except for light hacks around the farm for exercise. I'm completely missing what you're talking about, can you be more specific about what you're seeing? All I see are hooves in bad shape because they haven't seen proper care but that's why I'm posting so nothing is overlooked.

10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'd like to see an up close look, but it looks off to me.