This one will be hard to decide!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by slc, Sep 15, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

11 year old Paint gelding, no signs of wear and tear(I think I know why, lol), got his current rider buffaloed, but it's not just a case of being spoiled. I got her to put her leg on him a little and he did a little mini-rear. So she is backed off because she's a bit scared of him. And the surprise is, you get on him and decide you're going to actually ride a bit, and he is scared.

Maybe he was contested on by someone who's really rough, or someone just really lost their temper with him but he's in any case not just spoiled.

So, some timid riders spoiled him, but looks like someone got after him too hard as well. You can't even get near him with a whip.

I have to think about this one. Nice people, let me know they can't do much with him, etc.

I think I can figure him out, it's a question of how much time and energy I can muster to do both him and Wuss Horse, with both of them green and a physical ride at the same time. The good side of that being Wuss Horse would probably only work 3x a week, and the paint is dead out of shape so probably would only go 3x a week as well. At least for a while.

2. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I don't think this would be a hard decission if this was me. If I wanted a horse to pony off of, it would already be trained, sane and dependable. Are you sure you now want two horses to train?

3. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Not sure how old you are SLC...so no offense intentionally meant, but...do you have the physical endurance to retrain a horse who could potentially blow up or have you eating dirt? Not saying your a bad rider either, but even the best riders get dumped a few times, and a scared horse is or can be, dangerous.

GotaDunQH, mooselady and ginster like this.
  4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I would pass one one that did a "mini-rear" because the rider put some leg on him. This would be especially true if I were looking for a solid horse to pony a colt from. If he is a bully and/or scared, what is he going to do when the pressure is on?

5. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't mind a month or so, or just teaching them to pony, but I think this one is more like 6 months of work. And they don't always get a whole lot better, either. Sometimes they are pretty much ruined.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

That's exactly what I am thinking. And again, I don't mind teaching them to pony. That's not so hard on a horse that is decent minded and has basics. Thing is, in my price range there are not a lot of horses better than this.

7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

A pony horse needs to be a solid citizen, needs to be confident and able to withstand the challenge of the one being ponied (mental challenge for dominance as well as physical challenge of being pushed and/or pulled). If this is the best you can do you would be better off ponying from a 4 wheeler or ATV that at least will not react emotionally to any shenanigans from the ponied.

I like to pony from my mare. She is big enough to push back if needed and, as the herd boss, she "don't take no stuff from no equine". When she gets pushed, she pins her ears and gives the look and all is well usually. Young mules and horses alike quit when she says quit! She is also responsive and quiet so riding her one-handed, or no handed if need be is not a big deal.

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If your price range is that low, bicycles, particularly used ones, should do it.
    A horse like that, around here, they give them away.

9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

GotaDunQH likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Awesome. Can the golf car gallop?