This may be the weirdest thread you read today, but...

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by StarPattern, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I see them all the time on Pinterest but I've never gone ahead and checked them out. They looked perfect to me as they're lighter but sturdy - sort of like endurance saddles. Idk..I saved a bunch to Pinterest but it's a bit of wishful thinking on my part. ;)

2. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

They're great saddles... but they distribute weight like an English saddle and my mare just can't deal with that. She hates every English saddle ever. Plus the ones here are just the cheapie synthetic ones.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

The ones I saw were from Australia. Pretty certain. Anyway, probably moot as they'd cost a fortune.

4. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

The little tack store on the north side of town used to carry Aussie saddles. It's been a while since I was in there. May still have one or two or might still have connections to bring one in.

5. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Which tack store was that?

6. C4Roan

C4Roan Full Member

If you end up buying a western saddle, I suggest you beware of the newer cheapies. If you are looking for inexpensive, try finding and older simco. There are not in style, and their prices reflect it. They are also really comfortable and last a long time. My mother received one brand new 25+ years ago, and the saddle is still in great condition. I ride in it almost every day as well. Another option may be an older Big Horn.

7. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I'm going to go with it depends on the saddle. Saddles like Tuckers that the horse doesn't really do anything (and if you dally the horn breaks off, don't ask how I know) function fine without it (again, don't ask). Other types of saddles, the horn is an integral part of the tree and it probably would compromise the integrity of the saddle, not to mention look bad. I wouldn't do it. But that's just me.

8. Binca

Binca Senior Member

That's a pity, they can be lovely saddles. I own a cheaper one (Ammo) - it's a bit big for me but my husband loves riding in it. I can imagine if you bought second hand from Aus you would have to deal with quarantine issues too? It would certainly be difficult to get a second hand saddle into Australia, not sure about getting one out! I am not 100% sure on the sizing, I think mine goes by western sizing but I think it would depend on the seat.

I wish I could be of more help, but unless you want me to post a saddle for you then I'm pretty much useless. Although I will let you know if I do come across any companies willing to post to you. Good luck with your search! :)

9. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

My farrier has a really nice proper Aussie saddle brought it over with him cost an arm and a leg I think. It's bl**dy heavy!!! Tried it on fatty and it was so uncomfortable for me.

Have you tried quantum sports endurance saddle? My friend had one tried it out was super comfortable.

10. redmarejumper412

redmarejumper412 Full Member

Cutting the horn off a western saddle seems like a bad idea to me, but I'm not incredibly knowledgeable on western saddles. Just my intuition there, LOL! But just out of curiosity, have you ever had a saddle fitter access her hatred for english saddles?