This may be the weirdest thread you read today, but...

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by StarPattern, Aug 12, 2017.

1. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

... Can I cut the horn off a western saddle without damaging the tree?

I know, I know... you're asking yourself why on earth I'd do that. I have a really nice Wade saddle, but I'd like a second saddle for my less *rotund* mare with slightly higher withers. The Wade fits her decently, but I feel like she would prefer a smidge more wither clearance. I've been hunting around for endurance or stock saddles... but it seems the only ones I can find have horns or are the english style ones. I'd like a saddle without a horn because variety is the spice of life, but the mare I'd be using the saddle on DESPISES the weight distribution of English saddles. She likes western saddles and I like not eating dirt (which happens when I get stupid and put any English saddle on her). I'm all about compromise, which is why I'm considering buying a cheap western saddle and lopping off the horn.

I'm still hunting around on Facebook groups for the ideal endurance/stock saddle, but in the event I can't find one... is it possible to saw off the horn on a western saddle and just patch over the area? I feel like it's been done before... but my concern is about damaging the tree itself. Is the horn an integral part of the tree's stability or is it safe to remove it?

And thus concludes the strangest thread you'll likely read today.

2. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Nope

Attached Files:

3. StarPattern

Nope as in, I can remove the horn and NOT damage the tree. Or, nope as in I shouldn't cut off the horn? The picture makes it look like I'm a-okay to lop off that horn, though. :)

4. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

The horn is an integral part of the tree. Removing it will cause tree failure just when you need it the most. Look at Australian saddles,they come with or without horns

Attached Files:

5. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I think what you want to hunt for is a half breed saddle - or I guess what you over-the-ponders call an Aussie saddle. They have a western base, but often an english or stock seat.

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You can absolutely cut off the horn. It was added in the first place.

7. StarPattern

Oh, I've been looking for those too. I haven't managed to find one in Canada or the States for less than around $2000, but they're plentiful in Australia. Unfortunately, shipping from Australia to Canada is a bit of a hindrance and no one wants to do it. haha. Someone told me that the sizing is different on half breeds, so I don't even know what seat size I'd begin looking for. I ride a 14.5-16" western and a 16.5-17.5" english, so I have a bit of wiggle room on size either way.

Thanks, Manes. I was doing some online research and it appears that people removing a horn isn't as weird or uncommon as I thought. I can imagine it would be more difficult to remove a steel roper horn or something, but I'm planning to find the cheapest leather saddle I can, that fits my horse. I would assume most of those horns are just plain old wood and would be an easy removal with a saw of some type.

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Just remove the stitching and peel the leather down so that when you cut it, (or have it cut it you don't think you can cut it perfectly level) you have leather left to cover it with.

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I've absolutely no idea, never thought about it. I'd not damage a saddle though.. just get an Aussie etc. I've wanted one for ages. ;)

10. StarPattern

Trying. But all I can find are the English style ones with a horn. The ones I want haven't made it here from Australia yet.