This is the worst yet from last chance corral.

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, May 2, 2017.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Someone elsewhere did digging on the photo and said it is of goss woman, and she did shoot the foal or a foal at least. Didn't see it, just sharing what was told to me. Foal was too sick to live was story told.

But funny goss drags these compromised foals to Ohio Equine deal to parade around and get donations.

D_BaldStockings likes this.
  2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

My mentor had mares that were an open milk bar to each others babies when out together. The mares took turns straying off a short distance like they were taking a baby-break, and the toddlers could still get served by auntie/s if they got hungry.

3. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Yep, this is what gives rescues a bad name. In the Kentucky Humane Society link provided above, they say "over 100 foals since 2014". That's a little over 30 foals per year to date, so not even counting this year. I just don't think it is "normal" practice for a TB breeder to incur the expense of a nurse mare for convenience.

CoffeeBean and meljean like this.
  4. meljean

meljean Senior Member

And if they are who I think they are, they sent foals last year or so to WI as nursemare foals who were Appalachian Warmbloods, whatever that is. Anything to wangle money.

It just isn't done to any degree, for any reason, and last year STBs were thrown into the mix too by lcc.

CoffeeBean and D_BaldStockings like this.
  5. meljean

meljean Senior Member

These foals were at the VA horse expo. Why haul foals already compromised as they claim, to where they will be exposed to germs, multitudes of people, dust and constant noise?

Money. nursemare foals at va horse expo.jpg

6. meljean

meljean Senior Member

What have the horses being dumped have to do with nursemares? Except if that is where some of these foals are coming from.

And didn't know we had a quota of posts we had to make, in each forum before we could post about something that we know is bunkum. Can you direct me to that rule you have put into place? Do we have to post daily? Hourly? Every minute to satisfy this new rule of yours? Do you have a list of topics each of us is to post on before we post about something that we are concerned about?

It isn't propaganda or suspicion, I worked in this for 8 years and know this is not done except in cases of emergencies. And it bothers me that people are blatantly lying about this, to bilk money from people who do not know any better. That you have your head in the air and your tail over the dashboard to defend these liars, is interesting to say the least.

Always on the wrong side of the fence.

GooseIsLoose and CoffeeBean like this.
  7. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Kentucky has feral horses on coal mining sites that were dumped and abandoned by their owners. Yes, since then they've bred and perhaps some people are dumping unwanted foals there too but this has been happening for years.

Free-roaming horses growing problem in E. Ky.

For years it's been a common, if often unauthorized, practice in the coalfields of Kentucky's Appalachian Mountains — grazing horses on reclaimed surface mines.

But state animal welfare groups say the recession and increased wild breeding since 2009 have expanded the free-roaming population of horses into what some estimate to be thousands — and the mix of owned, abandoned and wild-born horses is causing growing concern.

The following was written in 2015 (Rural Blog: Horses abandoned on reclaimed coal land in Eastern Kentucky raise concern | KyForward.com),

"Turning out the horses isn’t anything new, Coleman writes.

For the past 20 years or so, local citizens, many of them miners, would release their horses out onto the land that was being reclaimed by the coal mining companies. The horses could then be caught and brought back to homes and farms when the owners wanted to ride them.”

“When the recession came in 2008, more and more horses were being turned out onto the mining lands (for reference, mine sites can up as large as 20,000 to 40,000 acres of land) increasing grazing stress onto the limited grass lands,” Coleman writes. “Additionally, fewer horses were being gathered at the end of summer to go back to their homes. People began to travel from farther away to dump horses on the mine’s land. Some left stallions that bred the mares, leading to unplanned and unwanted foals that were feral because of their lack of human contact. The population of these free-roaming horses began to outgrow the ability of the habitat to sustain them.”

This article is from 2007:

Free roaming horses spark debate – East Bay Times

"Over the past couple of decades, hundreds, perhaps thousands, of horses have roamed free on tens of thousands of acres that were once strip mines in Kentucky. Exactly who owns the horses is unclear. Some are thought to be abandoned; others may have been allowed to run loose by their owners and graze on other people’s property.

Lewis H. Warrix, who was judge-executive up until January in Breathitt County, is among those who suspect that the closing of horse slaughterhouses is contributing to the situation. He estimated the number of free-range horses in the county at 350 and said the count has been rising over the past three years or so."

8. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Elk Viewing Site/Horse Conflict (2006)

""This could be a state and regional attraction," Warrix said. "It's something we really need to take advantage of."
    But the proposal has alarmed people who for years have grazed their horses in the area. Breeders like Marcus Williams of Knott County worry that their horses could be forced out. "We're not against the elk-viewing, but we sure would be against our horses being moved," Williams said.
    After meeting last month, the two sides say they're trying to find a compromise that would let the horses and the elk-viewing coexist -- with the entire area benefiting from the tourist dollars they hope the project would generate.

Warrix said he's optimistic something can be worked out. "The elk are an asset to us, and the horses are an asset to us too, if they are handled properly," he said.

Horse owners are trying to determine how many horses are on South Fork, which could help the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources calculate how many elk and horses could share the land.

"We're up to 200 horses right now," Williams said. Under Warrix's plan, the elk-viewing operation initially might consist of a parking area, a road or trail and a spot where visitors could sit or stand to watch the elk from a safe distance. Warrix plans to lease private land. Details, including financing, must be worked out. "

9. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Oh my God, why would you do that to such little babies if they are supposedly in such bad shape and so fragile? I wouldn't even haul a healthy baby to some event like that.