This is the worst yet from last chance corral.

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, May 2, 2017.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

2. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Looks like the author is horse-bond, not Last Chance.

There is a lot of cray-cray on the net.

While LCC is mentioned, I'm not sure it is the origin of the fantastic charges being leveled against TB farms...

-Can anyone tell me why the person holding the healthy looking Appy marked foal has on an LCC t shirt and the other person holds a gun... (no sound on this computer)?

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

An app baby on a "TB farm", and caption has 2 fonts & typos..and the pic imo looks oldololdoldold.. credibility of the pic & probably info to me went (n) pretty quickly.
    What do people get out of this cry-wolf stuff, other than a following of ill-informed emotional lemmings?

4. D_BaldStockings

Why, money of course.
    Donations are where it is at!

meljean likes this.
  5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

While rescues often exaggerate for donations, I assure you nurse mares and their foals are a real life occurence. Orphaned Foals
    We have wild horse population on coal mining sites here, in the horse capital of the world, due to folks dumping some of these offspring.
    As I have stated on other threads, the khs is a legit rescue and here is a link to their website with info about these foals. I wish people would spend more time helping folks in health and training on this forum (especially those who have so much experience to share) rather than popping up once in a blue moon to spread propaganda and suspicion without having any real cold hard facts.
    Nurse Mares: Four-Legged Mary Poppins to the Rescue - Horse Racing News | Paulick Report
    The Paulick report is well respected publication in the tb industry. Nurse mares and their foals exist. Stop pretending they don't. This article places the treatment of the foals in a good light. Many are treated well and rehomed. However, just as we have had abusers and neglecters outed on this very forum ( with some members adamantly and blindly defending them) , this adds to the over breeding, over population and flooding of the market. And not everyone is going to be the kind of breeder that is called up to provide a nurse mare for the likes of Rachel alexandra. We all know that. Many will slip through the cracks. I have an $80,000 gelding...purchased as a yearling (trained by a well known winning trainer and owned by a derby winning owner) at that price and then thrown away like the trash. And bounced around. So, what are the chances of a nurse mare foal being treated any differently when it comes to parting a human with his money ?

RG NIGHT HEIR likes this.
  6. D_BaldStockings

Wow.
    Read for comprehension.
    From the Paulick report:
    Some larger farms keep their own band of nurse mares, while others lease nurse mares as needed. Bill Roseberry, who manages Roseberry's Nurse Mares in Central Kentucky, said he gets calls throughout the foaling season, although this year seems especially busy. He's already sent 26 mares out to help struggling foals and has received an additional 60 or 70 calls requesting his mares. Roseberry keeps close to 100 mares on his farm, many of whom are Quarter Horses and Tennessee Walkers.
    "I would like to get people to understand that we have been doing this for over 30 years, and we have yet to kill a foal for any reason unless it had some sort of physical problem that can't be fixed,” Roseberry said. “If I had to ‘dispose' of foals like that, I'd be out of the business. I feel very strongly about that.”

No one is saying nursemares don't exist. Nor their foals.
    I am saying someone who buys supposed nursemare foals in the quantities of this person/rescue while throwing the racing industry as a whole under the bus and spreading falsehoods such as mares return to racing after foaling, they need nursemares if they want to rebreed mares, no TB mares raise their own foals, blah, blah, AND the nursemare foals are left to starve, sold for meat and hides, abandoned on the mine sites, blah, blah is most likely NOT dealing with a seller of nursemare foals.

Not that the foals don't need help; but their origin ought to be better represented and the lies really need to stop if anyone is gong to take their rescue mission seriously.

*If you want to start a thread about selling of ex-race horses through low end auctions or other means that you find neglectful, feel free. I also bought an older mare that was said to be an 80k+ yearling: never made it to the track and was used as a 'hunter' and broodmare until she had twins and foundered; ending up at a cheap mixed horse auction.

There were many other horses at that auction but I only bought one. I bought her BECAUSE she was still valuable as a broodmare to me, had a great temperament and I thought the problem was manageable. I didn't buy any of the mares and foals that went through when a Paint breeder dispersed their ranch. Many of the foals were sold right off their dams.

Auctions are 'no fun' for any of the stock that goes through. In different parts of the country you will find different breeds. Here it is stock horse types; other places it may be racehorses.

You can't stop a person selling a horse.
    To anyone.

7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I don't think anyone has said nurse mare farms/nurse mare foals don't exist. Most of us are saying the reports of widespread abuse of the foals produced by these mares is exaggerated to prey on soft-hearted people with fat wallets.

I have no objection to rescues of any sort. I do object strongly to rescues that exaggerate things, in some cases outright lie, to make more money from the animals they are "rescuing".

I have no doubt there are abusers in the nurse foal industry. No doubt at all. I also have no doubt the abusers are in the minority, just as with most of the equine industry. The abusers that get caught are all you hear about though so thanks for the second article you linked that shows nurse mare providers in a good light for a change.

8. D_BaldStockings

ginster likes this.
  9. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

ginster likes this.
  10. meljean

meljean Senior Member

For one rescue to claim 20,000 foals are ripped from their dams, tossed on manure piles to die, while 20,000 TB foals are ripped from their dams, so their TB dams can go back to racing or showing, is the problem. As well as the outright lies to deceive people out of their money. Over 325,000 dollars in 2015 to be exact in the case of lcc.

Idrivetrotter, ginster and equinitis like this.