thinning hair?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Rachel1786, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

A week or so ago I noticed that hair on Bella's flanks looked thin, and now I've been noticing it over her shoulder and neck as well. Her summer coat is shedding but it doesnt look like her winter coat is growing in.
    She's been on regumate since May so I'm wondering if the hormones could be effecting the growth.
    I sent a message to my vet to schedule mark for a dental and chiro and asked her about Bella and she agreed it wouldn't hurt to test for Cushing's. So well be doing that when we comes out in the 26th.
    So could the issue be a side effect of regumate or cushing's or something else? Anyone experience this? My vet said that because the weathers been wonky this year it could be from that but because Bella is a "stress ball" as she put, she thought it wise to test her.

2. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

One of my mares about goes bald while changing winter/summer coats and gets thin in the fall again. I know several people who claim their mares do it too. None that I know of on regumate, and haven't heard of a gelding doing this yet. All mares have been healthy as far as I know.

manesntails likes this.
  3. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Interesting, I've never heard of anything like this happening before, I've owner her 8 years and its never happened before. She's 21 so she is on the older side. Which is why I'm worried about her winter coat not coming in.

LoveTrail likes this.
  4. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

My mare is 28 and has been shedding/growing like this for quite a few years. She always gets a good winter coat and has no problems shedding in spring, so I have never tested for Cushings since all other aspects have been normal.

Cynical25 likes this.
  5. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

My gelding does the same. I always have to blanket him this time of year because he sheds more than he grows, and ends up being in a state of thin yet fine fuzzy fur, and he's a wimp in cold weather. He had a beautiful summer coat, gets a beautiful winter coat, just struggles inbetween. I've had him tested for Cushing's and he's never positive, so I figure it's just him. This year actually hasn't been as bad for him only because we had such warm weather through September. It can't hurt to investigate, especially since it is something different for her, but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about!

Cynical25 and doublelranch like this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

OMG, do not do a Cushings test for hair that DOESN'T come in fast enough. You are wasting your money. That is normal. Some horses shed a lot in one place because the new hair coming in itches. So, they rub and the old hair falls out faster from the rubbing, the itchiness.

equinitis, Cynical25 and doublelranch like this.
  7. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

Agree with the others - my gelding just started to rub his usual fall bald spots as the winter coat starts to come it. His worst spots are usually shoulders and neck because they are easily itched on gates, but he recently figured out he can straddle the water tub to itch his belly. My senior mare is slow to grow her winter coat, but I swear she can go from sleek to wooly mammoth overnight if the weather calls for it.

In other news, there is an ad regarding Male Pattern Baldness above this Post Reply box, lol.

manesntails likes this.
  8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I would still have your vet come out and look at her since this is something new for your mare and she is getting older.

9. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

It's not just the hair that makes me want to test her, when I posted about her hormone issues and starting her on regumate it was suggested then to possibly test her, at the time I didn't think much of it but even on regumate, I've noticed she's been incredibly grumpy lately, maybe its because she hates Mark and is not happy he is breathing her air, maybe her ulcers are flaring up again because she is stressing about her hatred but I've also noticed a subtle change in her condition, I'm starting to be able to see ribs, but her belly seems to have gotten larger and her top line is looking less filled out, she hasn't been in work, but even without being in work, she usually doesn't loose much muscle, maybe its because she's older, but at this point, I'd rather test for piece of mind.

Cynical25 likes this.
  10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Yeah, she could be getting metabolic in her older age.